GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to just keep the radio on in my 2011 Volt? Sometimes if I'm waiting for someone in my car, or go to a drive-in movie, I want to keep the radio on, but I can't figure out a way to make it stay on more than 5 minutes. Is there a way?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Still only stays on for a couple of minutes.
10 minutes, actually. I use it as a way of knowing if my wife is taking longer than usual in a store sometimes.

If you want it to stay on, just don't turn the car off. It only goes off to protect the 12V battery from running down and stranding you. Having the car on keeps the 12V battery charging, so no timeout required. It's a consequence of not having a big "starting battery" like an ICE. Those batteries are way oversized and having the radio on hardly ever draws enough that the ICE won't start, since there is so much reserve capacity for "cold starts".

Leaving the Volt on beats having an ICE idling any day!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yeah here is the concept it has taken me forever to "get".
the reason you'd turn off a traditional ICE and run ACC from the battery is so you don't waste fuel and generate pollution.

This doesn't apply to the Volt. Just leave it ON until you are done.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I've even used my volt as a really expensive space heater for the garage in the winter time by plugging it in, starting the car, opening all the windows, opening the hatchback and cranking the heat. I'm sure it's not as efficient as a space heater, but it works. I then also blast my tunes. With a full battery, I think about 2 hours of messing around in the garage consumed half of a full battery charge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts