GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you purchase your volt, did you get the extended warranty?

I did not purchase one for the volt as I bought one when I bought my honda pilot and never find the need to use one. I personally think it is a waste (knock on wood) of money, but curious to see what you guys think.

I did buy the gap coverage though, since i put $0 down, i figure my peace of mind is worth $600.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

I did not purchase one for the volt as I bought one when I bought my honda pilot and never find the need to use one. I personally think it is a waste (knock on wood) of money, but curious to see what you guys think.

I did buy the gap coverage though, since i put $0 down, i figure my peace of mind is worth $600.
Everyone has an opinion on this and there is simply no correct answer. My suggestion is always (if you are interested in the extended warranty) is to price it, and pay for it INTO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT. When or if you have a problem that is not covered under warranty, then you pull from your prepaid expense account.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
There were some discussions long ago on this forum about a certain dealership selling the extended warranties much cheaper than anyone else. I think a number of members bought through that dealer. I personally don't buy them.

I like Firehawk's suggestion above, and I would add that if you did the same thing for every consumer product you have ever been offered a protection policy on, and used a special account for just those deposits, the account would be impressively large.

·
Registered
261 Posts
price it, and pay for it INTO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT.
Excellent advice.

I shake my head every time I hear/see an ad for those warranty plans on your home appliances, or your car, or any other big ticket item. If people thought through it they'd realize they're paying a hefty sum for the privilege of shifting risk to someone else. And that someone else has way more attorneys and accountants working for them then you do, which means they know how to shift most of the risk back without you realizing it. The extended warranty industry is right down there sitting between the payday lenders and the whole life insurance companies in my book.

For the record, the last (and only) time I bought a brand new car, in 1997, I bought an extended warranty. I was young and didn't know better, and it turned out to be a complete waste of money.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They "suggest" these warranties on just about everything now. I was reading a thread here about the 'kill a watt' energy reading device. I went over to Home Depot the other day and picked one up. Was offered warranty when it rang up. Had to laugh.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have it on my wife's '17. No freaking way I would have paid $2,234 for it, but since the car had a problem in the first 90 miles I had it (yes, miles, not days) and it took 3 weeks to fix, I got that as part of my compensation. I'll take the warranty for added peace of mind, but I couldn't imagine buying it. Like the suggestion above, putting the money aside and use it for repairs when needed is a great way to go.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

There are many extended warranty threads here with repeated information.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

I purchased a 72 month/72k mile extended warranty (GMPP) for a little over $1,200 just before my '12 hit 12 months/12k miles. After a couple of months, however, I decided to roll the dice and cancel it and get a refund (just lost the $50 cancellation fee...otherwise full refund if cancelled within 60 days).

I've been out of warranty over a year, and so far no issues requiring money OOP (had a couple of issues that were covered under the Voltec/powertrain warranties). Unless something catastrophic happens, it's likely I'll end up saving money by not buying the extended warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts