GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if anyone has purchased extended warranty? And if so, are there any out of pocket cost when you ever go to the dealership?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I wanted to know if anyone has purchased extended warranty? And if so, are there any out of pocket cost when you ever go to the dealership?
You have GM's offering (3 offers by Ally) and 3rd party offerings...3rd party and all difference, no point in talking unless you name the company...The real name for these are an "extended service contract", extended warranty and even what GM calls them "Protection Plans" are just fancy marketing names...For the Volt, you get a long powertrain warranty so it doesn't make the most sense to get one...Also be advised 99% of dealers overcharge on these, you do not need to get one at the time of purchase, just have to be under the factory warranty so you can shop around...They've done the work for you: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...755571-gmpp-extended-warranty-best-price.html

I'd only get the top tier one if you got the Premier with C1 & C2...But that's why I lease, dirt cheap payment ($205/mo) and I'm always under the warranty...

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Since you would never want to buy a plan before the car is at 12K miles or 12 months the Gen2 Volt would be too new. As for the out of pocket cost, that depends on the plan. As might be expected, you pay more for plans with no deductibles. You also pay more for more years and more miles.

I doubt the terms are any different on the Gen1 so any information you find on that generation would be applicable to Gen2.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you are seriously considering a warranty, you need to talk to these guys. Definitely one of the best in the warranty GM warranty biz:
http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmepp.html (James Black Cadillac of Edensberg PA.)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Thanks @DonC. You mean 36 months/36000 miles?
Oops. Yes, 36 months. Since the months and miles are added, there isn't much point in getting a service plan until you need it.

The good thing is that any dealer can sell you the GM plan. In some states you can get the Ally GMPP plan but not in all.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I'd start by searching 'warranty' here, you'll find at least a few detailed threads on the subject.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
I would suggest not buying an extended warranty as this and financing are big money makers for the dealerships, banks, and extended warranty companies. Once in awhil someone makes out great by having an extended warranty but by design most people are throwing money away.

I would recommend putting what you would have paid for that extended warranty into a separate bank account then adding something like $50-100 or more per paycheck into that car maintenance fund. This way when you need a repair or tires, the money is there. Most of the time you come out ahead as you are not spending that money of paying the warranty company their profits. The same advice goes for that flat screen TV that you buy from Best Buy. Don't buy their extended warranty either, just put that money towards your future replacement.

To answer your question, had a warranty, there is no charge for anything that is covered by the warranty. Still have to pay for tire rotations, old changes, brake jobs.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I would suggest not buying an extended warranty as this and financing are big money makers for the dealerships, banks, and extended warranty companies. Once in awhil someone makes out great by having an extended warranty but by design most people are throwing money away.

I would recommend putting what you would have paid for that extended warranty into a separate bank account then adding something like $50-100 or more per paycheck into that car maintenance fund. This way when you need a repair or tires, the money is there. Most of the time you come out ahead as you are not spending that money of paying the warranty company their profits. The same advice goes for that flat screen TV that you buy from Best Buy. Don't buy their extended warranty either, just put that money towards your future replacement.

To answer your question, had a warranty, there is no charge for anything that is covered by the warranty. Still have to pay for tire rotations, old changes, brake jobs.
I mostly agree with you but think it isn't an one size fits all answer...To start, as I stated, totally agree that you do not buy at the time of purchase as they're often overpriced as the dealers makes the offer attractive by bundling the inflated costs into your monthly payment if you finance...You need to shop around (get at least three quotes) and I've pointed out can find dealers who sell it a little above cost....

Not all Gen2 Volts are the same...Regardless if a MY16/MY17, production cars that have been delivered have only been on the road for 8 months...The OP will be getting C1/C2 and ACC, which means they could be getting one of the first what, 500 Volts to come with ACC? There's a lot of tech that could go wrong and I'd imagine that is very expensive if it fails...There was J.D. power article that stated 20% of reliability issues are technology issues...http://www.jdpower.com/cars/article...6-vehicle-dependability-study-technology-woes Therefore in my opinion, if I shopped around, got the best price on the service contract, have one of the first 500 ACC-equipped Volts (which requires C1 and C2) I would not feel ripped off buying the service contract at 35K miles...On the opposite end of the spectrum, if I had a LT and purchased the warranty at the dealer than I'd feel like I got ripped off...But that's one huge bonus of leasing up to the warranty mileage, never out of warranty...

·
Administrator
21,460 Posts
I mostly agree with you but think it isn't an one size fits all answer...To start, as I stated, totally agree that you do not buy at the time of purchase as they're often overpriced as the dealers makes the offer attractive by bundling the inflated costs into your monthly payment if you finance...You need to shop around (get at least three quotes) and I've pointed out can find dealers who sell it a little above cost....

Not all Gen2 Volts are the same...Regardless if a MY16/MY17, production cars that have been delivered have only been on the road for 8 months...The OP will be getting C1/C2 and ACC, which means they could be getting one of the first what, 500 Volts to come with ACC? There's a lot of tech that could go wrong and I'd imagine that is very expensive if it fails...There was J.D. power article that stated 20% of reliability issues are technology issues...http://www.jdpower.com/cars/article...6-vehicle-dependability-study-technology-woes Therefore in my opinion, if I shopped around, got the best price on the service contract, have one of the first 500 ACC-equipped Volts (which requires C1 and C2) I would not feel ripped off buying the service contract at 35K miles...On the opposite end of the spectrum, if I had a LT and purchased the warranty at the dealer than I'd feel like I got ripped off...But that's one huge bonus of leasing up to the warranty mileage, never out of warranty...
I agree. You can buy the extended warranty anytime within the first 12 months or 12k miles at the "new" car rate. Or, you can wait until year 3 or 36k miles and buy at the higher "used" car rate. The max extension (months/miles) endpoints will be the same either way. So if you know you are going to get one, save some money and get it under the "new" car signup period.

I also agree that having a lot of new tech means repairs *might* be expensive, or things will last a long time. I did buy an extended warranty and have not needed it. Then again, I have not needed my home fire insurance either. I don't consider either a waste of money. Insurance is risk reduction in case the worst happens. YMMV

·
Registered
678 Posts
Look at the posts so far and listen closely to llninja.

As a former auto salesman, I can tell you - Extended warranties are extreme rip-offs. They are almost all profit for
the dealer as your manufacturer's warranty is plenty enough. When you buy a new car, they will not let you sign
the final papers or take the key without going into that final office ( a "closer" ) where you are not prepared for
the big sales pitch on extended warranties and special "packages" like "protection packages" which include things
like overpriced undercoating and some special coatings, or interior protectant which is just Scotchguard,
sprayed onto your seats and carpets by a pimple-faced kid out back making minimum wage. When you go to
that last pitchman, masquerading as the "accounts guy" or ?... You just tell him/her you negotiated a fair price
in the eyes of the sales staff and management and now you want your car.

When you see the extent some dealers go to in selling you on an extended warranty ( I've seen guys call in
your salesman, and another office person to kind of gang up on you - all exhorting you while telling
such horrible scary stories about one time, when some anonymous fictional customer got screwed because the
hyper-threaded viscous gear was not covered by the factory warranty and it cost her a mint to fix.... Another trick
played is they check off one of the 3 optional warranties on the contract and don't point it out to you
before you sign!!! This is a criminal act, but you would be shocked how often it is done! You don't even
know you're paying extra for a non-factory warranty unless you read your fine print. Some never do!

So this is plain for all to see - if dealers place SO MUCH emphasis on these aftermarket warranties,
you know it is a HUGE profit-maker for that dealer. Not so much for you - you pay far more than,
as llninja says, if you save a bit extra per month ( $20-$40 ) and just set it into savings for any
unexpected expense down the road. You'll find that 12V battery replacement you need in 4 years,
or those first replacement set of tires just may be completely paid for and more!

Seriously, stay away from extended warranties - GM labeled, or aftermarket. They are scams.
You can spend 2 days reading the FINE PRINT on 99% of those warranties to discover just
how many mechanical items are NOT covered. Most only find this out after say, a CV-Joint
boot or some-such fails at 75,000 miles and you feel confident since you have been making
this added payment for years - that it is covered...Only to find out you got screwed.

Share this information with family and friends - as it is young ones, honored citizens, women
and gullible people that fall for this auto sales trap every single day.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Look at the posts so far and listen closely to llninja.

[/snip]

Seriously, stay away from extended warranties - GM labeled, or aftermarket. They are scams.
You can spend 2 days reading the FINE PRINT on 99% of those warranties to discover just
how many mechanical items are NOT covered. Most only find this out after say, a CV-Joint
boot or some-such fails at 75,000 miles and you feel confident since you have been making
this added payment for years - that it is covered...Only to find out you got screwed.

Share this information with family and friends - as it is young ones, honored citizens, women
and gullible people that fall for this auto sales trap every single day.
I think for the most part this is great advice, but I disagree that they should be completely avoided. What I've read from other sources is that extended plans are about 50% profit for the dealer. If that is true, and it is also true that the extended plan WILL/CAN fix SOME expensive things that break, then it stands to reason that there is SOME value in them, even if it is much less than what you would typically be charged. My point is, there is probably a "fair" price point, where the dealer can make a little bit of profit (as you should expect), and the consumer can have reasonable peace of mind. With that in mind, I think it's worthwhile to at least shop around and see what the best price you can get on a plan is, and THEN decide whether to buy that insurance or just budget for it personally.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
684 Posts
I have alway bough a GM extended warranty plan with all my cars and in almost every case I came out ahead. My last car was a Saturn Aura, and I just broke even with that car. I got a 84 month, 140k km warranty with the G2 because of its new (& cost cut) design

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have alway bough a GM extended warranty plan with all my cars and in almost every case I came out ahead. My last car was a Saturn Aura, and I just broke even with that car. I got a 84 month, 140k km warranty with the G2 because of its new (& cost cut) design
You have exceptionally bad luck.

Phil Collins said it best "Against All Odds" :)

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
It's always about odds and educating yourself...

We all agree that if purchased at the time of purchase has high odds that you're overpaying for it...As I posted, there are dealers willing sell these for $50 above cost...

My biggest concerns would be C1/C2/ACC...We have no idea what the likelihood of them failing are nor do we know how much it'll cost to fix them...Yet odds are it'll be more expensive than you think...There have always been horror stories of people bringing their car to the dealer with a 6-way power seat can no longer tilt, the dealer states a motor is burned out but they're unable to repair the motor, only choice is a $2000 seat replacement...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
There have always been horror stories of people bringing their car to the dealer with a 6-way power seat can no longer tilt, the dealer states a motor is burned out but they're unable to repair the motor, only choice is a $2000 seat replacement...
This is why the Good Lord created scrap yards...

·
Registered
810 Posts
At the dealer, I took the option that effectively doubled the factory warranty to 6/72k and the 5/60k tire protection. Reasons I did this were because I drive a lot of miles. The car I pretty much replaced is 4.5 years old and has over 100k miles on it. The tire protection I took because of the fact that I am not really trusting of the stock tires and I wanted protection on the rims (I have the upgraded rim package).

I don't know what the cost of the extended warranty was but it raised my monthly payment about $15 a month.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just today, I got news that my new 2017 Volt has arrived and that I can pick up tomorrow. I spent some time this afternoon on the phone with the 'business office' of the dealer (much more civilized than doing it in the dealership, I think). They tried to sell me the paint protector, interior protection, etc. ....and the extended warranty. Here was the pitch...from GM (not a 3rd party), complete coverage - the same as the 3 yr 60,000km...extended to 6 years, 120,000km (sorry to my American friends for the Cdn numbers). The cost of the warranty was $50/month for 5 years for an additional 3 years / 60,000km. Given that I drive about 25000km/yr, that is actually about 5 years worth, not 6 years. The pitch was that the cost was only $50/month for 6 (actually 5) years of coverage...what a deal!!...but wait a minute...I already have 3 years (actually 2.5 years based on mileage) that comes with the car. Therefore, I am paying 5 years X $50/month = $3,000 for about 30 months of additional coverage; which is actually about $100/month for the extra coverage. I think that is a lot. The chances that I will have to spend $3,000 to do repairs in the 60,000 - 120,000km stage of my new cars lifetime is pretty remote. The car should be barely broken in at 120,000km!!! I quite rightly (and very 'Canadianly') said, 'I'm sorry but I am will not take the extra warranty.
P.S. I also refused the paint protector and the fabric protector. Do yourself a favour folks, just say 'no' to extended warranties; they are just not worth it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts