GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone on here purchased a GM extended warranty from knappvehicleservicecontracts.com? I got a quote from their website for a warranty on my 2016 Volt, the price looked great compared to what my local dealer offered but I'd like to get some feedback from someone who's bought from them before I buy.

Thank you in advance for any info anyone can provide.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Has anyone on here purchased a GM extended warranty from knappvehicleservicecontracts.com? I got a quote from their website for a warranty on my 2016 Volt, the price looked great compared to what my local dealer offered but I'd like to get some feedback from someone who's bought from them before I buy.

Thank you in advance for any info anyone can provide.
Do you consider yourself an especially unlucky person?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Extended warranties are almost always a bad idea, third party warranties especially so because they are likely to only pay for crap parts not new GM parts.

·
Registered
241 Posts
To expand on hellsop's question, why would you even consider this? The "warranty" appears to cover:

• Factory-Installed Anti-Theft Systems
    (does not include transmitters and receivers) Do our volts even have this? Would you know if it failed?
  • Factory-Installed, Hands-Free Voice-Activated Accessories Is this a requirement to drive the car?
  • Automatic Climate Control Programmer Is this the heater / AC control?
  • Power Tailgate Lock Don't think the Volt has this
  • Emergency Trunk Release Again, how would you know this failed, and would you care?
  • Factory-Installed Entertainment System OK, maybe this? but what are the chances?
  • Rear Vision Camera and Sensors Pretty bullet-proof, from what I've seen on this board
  • Keyless Entry System
    (excluding key/key fob)Unless you're poor Texx, really, what're the chances?
  • Reverse Warning Systems/SensorsVideo Display Screen
    (excluding pixel damage) Isn't this the same as the infotainment screen, and they exclude pixel damage? What else is there?
  • Blind-Spot Sensors Does your Volt have them?
  • Heated Seats Unless you live north of Missouri, do you really need them?
  • Ride Control Suspension Is this shock absorbers? They seem to last 100K at least these days
  • Compass Oh yeah, can't drive without that!! Well, there is that Waze thing
  • Adaptive Cruise Control Heaven forbid you have to pay attention when you set the Cruise
  • Seals and Gaskets Door seals? When have they ever failed?
  • Air Conditioning System OK, you got me there. That's a necessity.
  • Brakes
    (including ABS components) You're driving a Volt-- you almost never actually use them
  • Air Bags/Safety Restraint System OK, this could be important, too
  • Enhanced Electrical – OnStar, MyLink
    (programming and updates not included) I think we could all survive without Onstar....
  • Electrical That's pretty generic--wonder what they've excluded?
  • Steering
    (including rear-wheel steering) If your rear wheels are turning side-to-side, I guess that's a problem!
  • Transfer Case Where is this, exactly, on your Volt?
  • Factory-Installed Turbocharger/Supercharger Don't think this is an option, either
  • Drive Axle Is this covered under the 8yr, 100K mile propulsion warranty?
  • Transmission This is certainly covered 8/100K, but it ain't your father's transmission....
  • Engine It's a Volt. How much is this really going to be used?
Did you notice that there is a $100 "deductible" every time you make a claim? Also, the Exclusions sections is almost as long as the "what's covered" section.

Take a car payment, put the cash in a jar on the top shelf of your pantry, and use it when something covered by the warranty actually breaks within the time/mileage limit. Chances are that you'll still have the money when that limit is reached.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going with the $0 deductible option. I'm more concerned with the expensive electronics that aren't covered by the 8/100 Voltec warranty. I've had a couple things fixed already under the 3/36 warranty (AC and power window) and I'm glad I didn't get stuck paying for those.

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
I'm going with the $0 deductible option. I'm more concerned with the expensive electronics that aren't covered by the 8/100 Voltec warranty. I've had a couple things fixed already under the 3/36 warranty (AC and power window) and I'm glad I didn't get stuck paying for those.
I had the same fears and thought process. With the $0 deductible, each return for an unfixed problem won't cost you anything.

On the other hand, the extended warranty is a bet against the house (GM). My 2011 Volt's $1200 extended warranty saved me $200 on a faulty passenger seat heater before the warranty expired, lol. Did I get one for the Bolt? nope, but if it costs me $1200 at some point, I'm no worse off. YMMV

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Extended warranties are a high profit product, you will have to be very unlucky for an extended warranty to pay off. If you've found a cheap extended warranty you have to ask yourself why it's cheap. Chances are they will require the use of remanufactured or off brand parts, not new GM parts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Take the money you would have paid to acquire the extended warranty and put that into a savings account. If it's a new car, chances of anything failing for the 1st 3 years are slim, and it would be covered by the factory warranty anyways. During this period, put away an amount every month into this savings account. When your factory warranty expires, you should have a pretty good balance in that account. Use it when you need repairs outside of the factory warranty. If you lucky and don't need it, then it's money saved instead of prepaying for an insurance that you may or may not use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a extended warranty from them in January for my 2017 Chevrolet Silverado. Their prices were far better than my local dealer. They are selling the genuine warranty from General Motors. I would never waste my money buying an aftermarket plan. If you want an extended warranty for you GM vehicle knappvehicleservicecontracts.com is the place to go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Google “[extended warranty provider] complaints” and there’s your answer. If you have more time (the first query will more than likely keep you occupied for hours), Google “vehicle extended warranties” for more chuckles.

There are NO extended warranties out there worth the money. Period. Paragraph. A few poorly-spelled anecdotes from yahoos that swear they saved money from buying one (and I will bet serious money most of those similarly-worded anecdotes are placed by shills for the company itself) are only there to convince gullible owners to insure something that, in this day and age, is rarely needed. Save your money, honey... You’ll have better luck with Lotto tickets...

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I have an extended warranty contract for my 2017 Volt. I purchased it and rolled it into my 0% loan. It has a zero deductible and covers everything not covered by the GM warranties, including the main traction battery and electronics. Length is 5 years/100,000 miles to match my car payments and mileage during that time. After that I'll keep making the "car payment" but into an "escrow" account reserved for car repairs and eventually new purchase.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts