GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in an area that qualifies for a free charger and up to $1200 in installation according the SPX website.

Has anyone used or installed one of these chargers? I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences with it. There seems to be very little mention of this charger on the forum, which could be a good thing since no news is good news on a car forum.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The Blink charger will be used in the EV Project that is being managed by Ecotality. There are many people that are participants (Leaf and Volt owners) in that project that have been awaiting Blink to be installed in their home. I think we will be hearing a lot more about how well this charger works in the next month. I understand that the production was delayed a bit because of the UL certification process.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
It's big and ugly. I'd rather have the nice looking smaller one. There isn't a lot happening in the device so there's not a lot that can go wrong, and you have to think that this one will be well tested given all the grant money put into it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Im supposed to get one of the first ones. I will let folks know how it is once it shows up.....

Stilgar

·
Registered
442 Posts
We are also supposed to get one of the first ones, but then again, not like I can get SPX to come out to the house. They have been delaying stating Ecotality/Blinks wasn't/weren't ready yet. Since they starting production, hopefully they will consider scheduling inspections and installs now.

Paul (Cari's husband)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are also supposed to get one of the first ones, but then again, not like I can get SPX to come out to the house. They have been delaying stating Ecotality/Blinks wasn't/weren't ready yet. Since they starting production, hopefully they will consider scheduling inspections and installs now.

Paul (Cari's husband)
The SPX guy on the phone Friday was not familiar with the program on his website until I pointed it out. So they definitely have a ways to go getting the wrinkles out.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Paul (Cari's husband)
SPX told me today (Friday) that the Blink units are not available yet, and that the Ecotality folks were planning a 'announcement' of some kind this Weds. The assumption is that the announcement will be that the blink units are available.
Anyway I asked for the SPX folks to at least get my 'estimate' visit completed. They said they would call me Monday to set it up.
(Note that every time they have said they would call me on anything they have failed to call...)

Stilgar

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
OK. I'll forget the adage that if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. On top of being too large, basically these things are wasteful overkill. They suck down 30W or 50W 24/7. Why? Cause they're designed to provide you with great stuff like being able to set the times for charging. But wait, you may ask, don't the cars do that? Well yes. But they will monitor your usage by time. But won't your electric meter do that? Well yes.

Essentially you have all this stuff built into the charger which is simply duplicated by other devices so it's not clear why you'd want to pay for it or to pay for running it.

Management isn't very impressive either. One of the Qualcomm guys asked the CEO if the charger was certified. The CEO said yes it was Blah Blah Blah. Then the Qualcomm guy said he didn't understand because he had looked at the FCC filings and there was no record of the certification. Busted. Backtracking ensued. Like I said, not impressive. I get the need to BS when you're small but you at least need to learn the art of weasel words.

All that said, I wish them success. I just wish they'd dump the Blink for the nicer smaller one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
They suck down 30W or 50W 24/7.
So far, I haven't found anyone who has actually measured the standby power usage of the Blink. One person with a T.E.D. hooked up estimates that it draws 0.1 amps (24 watts), however the minimum his T.E.D. can measure happens to be 0.1 amps so it could possibly be even lower...

·
Registered
335 Posts
FYI...SPX tells me today that they dont have any certified electricians yet in my area (Houston)....hence Im STILL waiting for my estimate (prior to blink install).

Stilgar

·
247 Posts
OK. I'll forget the adage that if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. On top of being too large, basically these things are wasteful overkill. They suck down 30W or 50W 24/7. Why? Cause they're designed to provide you with great stuff like being able to set the times for charging. But wait, you may ask, don't the cars do that? Well yes. But they will monitor your usage by time. But won't your electric meter do that? Well yes.
Obviously Blink has been designed for the needs of EVProject. It has needed communication features - wifi etc. It is definitely an overkill for some people - but after the EVProject runs its course, I'll keep it. One thing I'd really like is the exact kwh used per charge - that would give me the wall to wheels efficiency - the only other way to get that is to buy and use a TED.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
FYI...SPX tells me today that they dont have any certified electricians yet in my area (Houston)....hence Im STILL waiting for my estimate (prior to blink install).
I thought I read somewhere that either SPX or Ecotality had dispensed with the certification requirement for at least one of their chargers. Can't remember and can't find the reference but I know I read that. Anyone have any information? This makes things a lot easier IMHO because installing one of these for a licensed electrician should not be a big deal, and the certification process will just add to the delay. The bigger issue will probably be the local building inspectors. If they haven't seen these before the whole inspection could get interesting.

I wouldn't install a Blink unless it was a freebie. It's big and ugly and has a large standby draw. I'd go for smaller, cuter, cheaper.

NOTE: Maybe it was the AeroVironment which signed a distribution deal for their charger not Ecotality or SPX. That would make sense.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Obviously Blink has been designed for the needs of EVProject. It has needed communication features - wifi etc. It is definitely an overkill for some people - but after the EVProject runs its course, I'll keep it. One thing I'd really like is the exact kwh used per charge - that would give me the wall to wheels efficiency - the only other way to get that is to buy and use a TED.
It's very hard to beat free. Blink may be big and ugly and wasteful but if it's free then it's a deal.

On the use side, if this helps, I think SPX has said the charger is about 87% efficient. WOT has suggested the Volt should be more efficient than that but I haven't seen an actual number.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am in Sugar Land, near Houston, and your comment makes sense. The SPX lady last week said she would need to check into an electrician in the area, and she had that sound in her voice like she knew that would be a problem area.

I'll let you know if they find someone. Please do the same if you can.

It looks like I could have my Volt by this weekend, so the sooner the better.

On a side note, I went downtown yesterday for a meeting in Allen Center. The first parking spot in the garage was empty so I thought I had gotten really lucky. But when I got to the spot is had a sign, "Electric Vehicle Parking Only," and a charging station.

That's a missed opportunity that I'll never get back! I need my Volt!

Stilgar

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am in Sugar Land, near Houston, and your comment makes sense. The SPX lady last week said she would need to check into an electrician in the area, and she had that sound in her voice like she knew that would be a problem area.

I'll let you know if they find someone. Please do the same if you can.
Stilgar and Voltage692,

Congratulations on the purchase of your Chevrolet Volt! We appreciate your eagerness to have your charge station installed and look forward to the opportunity to supporting you in that process.

As you know, SPX is deploying a nationwide network of electricians to support the Volt launch. As this network evolves, there may initially be some geographies that are not supported. We have an extensive registration, certification and training process for our electricians and every day we have more joining the program. Coverage in your area is already resolved or will be very soon.

Additionally we are in the final stages of deploying the ECOtality DOE program. As such, the Blink charge stations are not yet available. A few critical elements are being finalized and we hope to launch the program very soon.
Thanks for your patience. Please feel free to call us at 877-805-EVSE (877-805-3873) if you’d like more details on the status of your installation.

Thanks,
Barth
SPX EV Support

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
...Additionally we are in the final stages of deploying the ECOtality DOE program. As such, the Blink charge stations are not yet available. A few critical elements are being finalized and we hope to launch the program very soon...
My frustration are the delays in getting someone to the home from SPX. When I call ServiceMagic, plenty of electricians are willing to work. Since the free charger has to installed by SPX, the delay continues.

One more frustration... ECOtality is NOT in the SCE (Southern California Edison) area, so no free Blink for me. I would like to know why SPX got SCE and ECOtality didn't. Many areas are covered by both SPX and ECOtality.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Additionally we are in the final stages of deploying the ECOtality DOE program. As such, the Blink charge stations are not yet available. A few critical elements are being finalized and we hope to launch the program very soon.
Thanks for your patience. Please feel free to call us at 877-805-EVSE (877-805-3873) if you’d like more details on the status of your installation.

Thanks,
Barth
SPX EV Support
I was told there was going to be an announcement this past Wed regarding the EV Project (Ecotality's DOE program). I take it since I didn't hear any info that it didn't happen?

Paul (Cari's husband)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts