GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have to replace my OEM tires before winter and I'm having a hard time making a decision. Ride, noise, and rolling resistance are all important factors to me, but I'd really like more grip than the stock Energy Savers.

As such, I'm having a hard time choosing between something like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 or the Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack. I'd expect even the latter to outperform the Energy Savers, but I'd really prefer a higher performance tire as long as I'm not going to end up with something with an intolerably bad ride, road noise, or significant drop in range.

Has anyone put performance tires on their Volt? What's been your experience?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hankook kinergy for me. Great ride, traction, quiet. same or slightly better mile per charge.
I was amazed how much improved they were over stock. My volt rides like a luxury car as opposed to the Flintstone mobile

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Hankook kinergy for me. Great ride, traction, quiet. same or slightly better mile per charge.
I was amazed how much improved they were over stock. My volt rides like a luxury car as opposed to the Flintstone mobile
Which ones specifically?
Hankook Kinergy GT Grand Touring All-Season -- UTQG: 540 A A
Hankook Kinergy ST Standard Touring All-Season -- UTQG: 680 A A
Hankook Kinergy PT Passenger Touring All-Season -- UTQG: 800 A A [updated from below info]

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I've been really happy with my Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ (make sure you get the + version). No loss of range and the car sticks to the road, even when wet.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm going to have to replace my OEM tires before winter and I'm having a hard time making a decision. Ride, noise, and rolling resistance are all important factors to me, but I'd really like more grip than the stock Energy Savers.

As such, I'm having a hard time choosing between something like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 or the Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack. I'd expect even the latter to outperform the Energy Savers, but I'd really prefer a higher performance tire as long as I'm not going to end up with something with an intolerably bad ride, road noise, or significant drop in range.

Has anyone put performance tires on their Volt? What's been your experience?
Continental Pure Contact improved ride quality, lessened noise and provided superior handling in snow. Mileage unaffected.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions! Sounds like I can get away with some grippier tires without causing any significant side effects.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2017 Premier. Replaced Energy Savers at 42,500 mi.
Chose Continental Pure Contact LS for an upgrade to a more premium Grand Touring tire.
Nice ride, rolls quietly, wearing well at 16,000 miles now.
Range hit is very slight, what you would expect from a brand new set of a comparable tire.
(More tread depth than old tires = slightly more weight and rolling resistance.)
Pure Contact LS may not be a "performance" tire, but it is an improvement in performance for sure.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
648 Posts
I see one common item amongst people choosing non OEM tires: they are all choosing tires with a higher load rating of 95 vs the OEM load rating of 91 ( myself included).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts