GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Volt Community,
It has been a while since I posted a question. While I am driving and the generator kicks in (Mountain mode or out of battery) I seem to be smelling exhaust fumes. Has anyone else had this issue? I thought maybe it was from other vehicles, but I put a window down to allow the fumes to escape, close the window, and the fumes come back.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
In case I had not mentioned it before, I was able to get a new battery pack covered by the 10 year warranty (in CA) thanks to our state regulators at CARB and BAR. They contacted the dealership, the repair was arranged, and I was provided a free loaner while the work was done (about 18 days).

·
Registered
2̶0̶1̶1̶ ̶C̶h̶e̶v̶y̶ ̶V̶o̶l̶t̶ DEALER BUYBACK
52 Posts
Hello Volt Community,
It has been a while since I posted a question. While I am driving and the generator kicks in (Mountain mode or out of battery) I seem to be smelling exhaust fumes. Has anyone else had this issue? I thought maybe it was from other vehicles, but I put a window down to allow the fumes to escape, close the window, and the fumes come back.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
In case I had not mentioned it before, I was able to get a new battery pack covered by the 10 year warranty (in CA) thanks to our state regulators at CARB and BAR. They contacted the dealership, the repair was arranged, and I was provided a free loaner while the work was done (about 18 days).
If you just noticed the exhaust fumes once you got your car back, it's likely they didn't fully connect or snug up the exhaust system when they changed your battery pack. If that's the case, take it back, express your concern and have them reinspect your exhaust system.

If it's been some time since the repair, then you still need to have your exhaust system inspected. Maybe loose hardware, or a hole has developed.

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
moved to Use, care, maintenance...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm sure there are a number of possible causes for your exhaust issue. I'll only mention the cause of the exhaust problem I had. The shop put too much oil in during an oil change (I think they put in 4.0 quarts when they were only supposed to put in 3.7). When the oil got hot during my next long road trip, it expanded enough to overflow a little out of the filler port and on to the very hot manifold. It was also winter so the cabin heat was on in the car and drawing burnt oil smells into the interior from the engine compartment for the whole trip. A quick check of your dipstick will reveal if that's your problem or not. I could also see oil residue around the filler cap.

·
Registered
OpenEVSE home charger, 2013 Volt base, added tow hitch, K&N filters, 3d printed interior mods, etc
208 Posts
I noticed this the other day also. Switched to hold mode doing 30-50mph on a cold 25F morning. I smelled the same unmistakeable smell of gasoline that you get with a cold catalytic converter. It was definitely not an oil smell that followed the car about 4 miles. Went away when (I assume) the cat warmed up, same as what happens when it is preheating using the ICE in my driveway.

Car was just checked over by the stealership for it's 10th birthday a couple of months ago, so I doubt I have any serious and obvious exhaust leaks. But it's possible. Checking for that would be the first step in troubleshooting that I would do if I was worried about it.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Std w Nav
5,207 Posts
Clogged vapor canisters aren't that uncommon. We've seen rare reports of corrosion happening on filler necks near where they connect to the gas tank as well.

·
Registered
OpenEVSE home charger, 2013 Volt base, added tow hitch, K&N filters, 3d printed interior mods, etc
208 Posts
@tpsangler -

If you force the engine to run while stationary, like in a parking lot or driveway, can you smell the gas from outside of the car? Any drips on the pavement? If it's a gasoline leak under the hood, it also would not go away once the cat warmed up. Such a leak could be extremely dangerous...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts