GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I like to drive to a nearby Open Space Preserve and go running. But I don't like to carry my 2017 Volt's big lumpy key fob with me. Here's my grand plan:
  • Remove physical key from fob
  • Put key fob in Altoids can to fool the proximity sensor.
  • Leave fob in car, lock car.
  • Go Running
  • Scratch head and wonder how I'm going to get back into car.
  • Borrow someone's phone and call wife.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I'm confused. Are you planning on losing the physical key during your run?
If not, then you should be aware that if you lock the car with one of the electric buttons, the alarm will be armed. Then when you come back and unlock the door with the physical key, the alarm will sound.
If you are unaware of how to unlock the door with the key, check your manual. There is a cover over the key hole on the driver's door handle.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I ran for years with a extra key tied under the strings on my running shoes.
and it did look funny holding my foot up to the the car lock.

on the Volt you will have to play games with a battery-less FOB in the car.

I would still also hide a fob battery someplace even if we can start the car with a battery-less fob.

now - I have not tried to start my Volt with a FOB and no battery AND no metal key part to stick in the special hole !!!
it may be harder to find the sweet spot ?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hi,

I like to drive to a nearby Open Space Preserve and go running. But I don't like to carry my 2017 Volt's big lumpy key fob with me. Here's my grand plan:
  • Leave fob in car, lock car.
  • Go Running
  • Scratch head and wonder how I'm going to get back into car.
  • Borrow someone's phone and call wife.
Do what most normal people do, take the key with you.
If you still think it's too much to carry, use the onstar app on your device to unlock the doors, if you have that service.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you carry a smart phone with you on your run, you can use the OnStar app to unlock the car. (But if the fob is bothersome to you, I'm betting you don't carry a phone on your runs either)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I have a big phone, so I don't run with it. But lots of helpful replies and lots of stuff I was unaware of. Revised plan:

• Leave fob in car,
  • Lock car WITH KEY
  • Go Running
  • Unlock car with key.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
637 Posts
Sometimes I take my key Fob with me to the gym, but lately have been leaving it in the locker because on several occasions, while walking past the treadmills, several strange incidents keep happening:

The first treadmill with nobody on it suddenly starts
The second treadmill with a guy running at top speed gets a "reduced propulsion " message on his screen followed by shutdown
The third treadmill gives out a triple honk
The forth treadmill starts chuggling for the guy

WTF?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sometimes I take my key Fob with me to the gym, but lately have been leaving it in the locker because on several occasions, while walking past the treadmills, several strange incidents keep happening:

The first treadmill with nobody on it suddenly starts
The second treadmill with a guy running at top speed gets a "reduced propulsion " message on his screen followed by shutdown
The third treadmill gives out a triple honk
The forth treadmill starts chuggling for the guy

WTF?
At least they didn't suddenly stop moving with a 'Shift to Park' message. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I share your pain.. As a runner, I too would prefer not to run with a cell phone or large fob. It's a shame GM didn't make it simple to lock the fob in the car with the mechanical key (as Prius and Leaf drivers have been able to do since 2004/2011)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I share your pain.. As a runner, I too would prefer not to run with a cell phone or large fob. It's a shame GM didn't make it simple to lock the fob in the car with the mechanical key (as Prius and Leaf drivers have been able to do since 2004/2011)
Yeah, it's a shame GM updates their technology rather than not update their technology to satisfy the sub 1%. Stoopit GM.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yeah, it's a shame GM updates their technology rather than not update their technology to satisfy the sub 1%. Stoopit GM.
Exactly. On an average day how many people want to lock their keys in their car on purpose.

Anyway if you are the active sporting type that doesn't want to be weighted down by a keyfob, buy a Sport Smart Watch and use the OnStar RemoteLink app. And you can even take calls or answer texts while in the middle of your rock climb. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I do look forward to smart sport watches with GPS and a cellular radio! Apple finally added GPS so I guess we're getting closer..

Edit: actually... If the smart watch is tied via Bluetooth to the cell phone (which is locked in the car) you might still be able to unlock with the watch as long as you are close enough to the car to connect to your cell phone.. Now if Garmin would provide such an app for their smart watches, I'd be all set!

Still.. A half inch hole would not have killed the aesthetics. Bad assumption on GM's part.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took my fob to a local locksmith and showed him the physical key. He pulled a blank one off the shelf and cut it to match. No chip or anything like that in the key - just a steel key that unlocks the door. He even had just the stick (no big plastic lump with the key ring hole in it) that would work if you just wanted something thin for your wallet. It was kind of pricey for a plain key ($25) but alot better than trying to get the key out of the fob (Gen1 - nonremovable). Now I just have to a) find a tin of some kind to hide the fob in inside the car or b) buy one of the RFblocker pouches on amazon. Since the weather and water is cooling off around here my local scuba season is done for the year so I've got a little time to decide what to do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
But won't the hatch still unlock if it senses the fob in the car?
No.. Just tried it.

Left the fob (with battery) on the driver's seat, in the center console, and sitting in the middle of the back hatch.

In all cases tried the button on all 4 doors as well as the rear hatch. None would open under any of the above scenarios.

When you lock the car with the mechanical key it seems to:
A: lock all the doors.
B: disable the fob

At this point the only way to get back in is to unlock wth the mechanical key.

Btw the Leaf and Prius both work this way as well. Only difference is they don't cover up the key hole!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In my defense, I searched for an existing thread on this topic and couldn't find one.

Anyway, I wasn't able to pry off the key cover from the door handle, even after reading the manual. The instructions are shown in Post 39 of this related thread. When I felt like I was going to break the plastic cover in half I backed off. Any suggestions on how to remove the cover?

Also, although I don't run with my smartphone, I do have an Apple Watch that could communicate with the phone inside the car. But neither the OnStar nor My Chevrolet apps seems to have a watch app. According to this WSJ article, one has been in development for a year or so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's not trivial getting that cover off.. Which of course is why I don't want to do it every time I run! You need to pull out the handle in order to remove it, then pry it loose on the side closest to the door handle. There are hooks top and bottom. The other side (further from the handle) has two tiny hooks.. More like nubs in then plastic. It's clearly designed to pop out handle side first. Once the handle side is pulled out about 0.5-0.75 inches a slight tug toward the handle should dislodge the other side.

EDIT!!: a slight tug AWAY from the handle.. the little hooks on the right are designed to cling to the metal keyhole assembly.

As I showed in the photo on the other thread the colored piece can be popped
out of the main chrome piece.

At this point I'm tempted just to drill a small hole in the blue plastic piece. Fortunately the key is skinny so it could be a relatively tiny hole. Also the key is long and looks like it would clear the cover.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts