GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EVSE is the original Voltec that came with my 2012 Volt.

Over the last couple of weeks I have had an issue chargring. Occaisionally when I plug in the car does not start charging (no change to the indicator light in the car. Throuch some combination of plugging/unplugging, turning the car on and off again, and opening/closing the charge door it would always connect eventually and charge normally.

This weekend I left the volt at home and when I came home last night as I got into bed the car started chirping (sounds like the pedestrian horn) I had never heard this before. It seems to indicate loss of 120v to the charger. The lights on the charger where all green. I did the following to troubleshoot.

1.) Reset the GFCI outlet the volt is plugged into, no change
2.) Unplugged from the car and plugged back in, no light at first (consistant with old issue), eventually I got the yellow light, but it never changed to green, and I heard a clicking from the evse and occaisionally from the GFCI outlet. Clicking did not sound like the regular relay switching, and it was happening much faster (multiple times per second).
3.) Checked for codes, none present
4.) Switched to 8A charging, no change
5.) Visually inspected connectors, no obvious debris present.
6.) Plugged into public charger, car charged perfectly.

My thoughts are that the public charger working eliminates any issues on the car side of the charging. However I am not sure If I have two issues, or just one, the clicking from the GFCI and the EVSE indicates to me some kind of fault in the wiring, most likely withing the EVSE/Cable/Connector. The Chirping however indicates an issue with the incoming power. The original issue with the charger periodically not connecting seems to indicate a cable/connector issue, which may or may not be related to the rest of the symptoms, but I would like to resolve it.

I am an EE, and have access to tools to troubleshoot/repair the EVSE, and the house wiring if necessary. I am not afraid to tear apart the EVSE if necessary. I am hoping some one here might have some experience with a similar issue to point me in the right direction. My plan is to try a different outlet (non gfci), if that doesn't change anything pursue the connection issue first, if I can get to the point that the car sees the charger every time then I can pursue any incoming power issues from there, and I can replicate the issue more reliably.

My plan is to replace the whole thing with a Level 2 so while that advice is appreciated, it doesn't change my desire to solve this issue as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just had an issue with L2 charger. Coincided with rain. The charger uses a pilot signal which is a 1khz signal that is modified by resistance in the charger handle and the vehicle to change states to perform charging. I dried out my L2 handle as well as cleaning and drying the connections. My Evse 120v chev charger worked fine but not the L2. All good now that things have dried out.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
EVSE is the original Voltec that came with my 2012 Volt.

Over the last couple of weeks I have had an issue chargring. Occaisionally when I plug in the car does not start charging (no change to the indicator light in the car. Throuch some combination of plugging/unplugging, turning the car on and off again, and opening/closing the charge door it would always connect eventually and charge normally.

This weekend I left the volt at home and when I came home last night as I got into bed the car started chirping (sounds like the pedestrian horn) I had never heard this before. It seems to indicate loss of 120v to the charger. The lights on the charger where all green. I did the following to troubleshoot.

1.) Reset the GFCI outlet the volt is plugged into, no change
2.) Unplugged from the car and plugged back in, no light at first (consistant with old issue), eventually I got the yellow light, but it never changed to green, and I heard a clicking from the evse and occaisionally from the GFCI outlet. Clicking did not sound like the regular relay switching, and it was happening much faster (multiple times per second).
3.) Checked for codes, none present
4.) Switched to 8A charging, no change
5.) Visually inspected connectors, no obvious debris present.
6.) Plugged into public charger, car charged perfectly.

My thoughts are that the public charger working eliminates any issues on the car side of the charging. However I am not sure If I have two issues, or just one, the clicking from the GFCI and the EVSE indicates to me some kind of fault in the wiring, most likely withing the EVSE/Cable/Connector. The Chirping however indicates an issue with the incoming power. The original issue with the charger periodically not connecting seems to indicate a cable/connector issue, which may or may not be related to the rest of the symptoms, but I would like to resolve it.

I am an EE, and have access to tools to troubleshoot/repair the EVSE, and the house wiring if necessary. I am not afraid to tear apart the EVSE if necessary. I am hoping some one here might have some experience with a similar issue to point me in the right direction. My plan is to try a different outlet (non gfci), if that doesn't change anything pursue the connection issue first, if I can get to the point that the car sees the charger every time then I can pursue any incoming power issues from there, and I can replicate the issue more reliably.

My plan is to replace the whole thing with a Level 2 so while that advice is appreciated, it doesn't change my desire to solve this issue as well.
Have you tried using another outlet for the EVSE? If one is not close enough go to another location to use your EVSE and plug it in there.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
just remember there already is a GFD in the EVSE

I have been waiting 5 + years for mine to fail so I can use the parts for a DIY kit. :)

This poor Arduino is still only being used as a interface to a Geiger counter kit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts