GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything from DIY mod to the Clipper Creek EVSE that comes with the VOLT So many choices

My requirements for the EVSE itself are
  1. 110 and 220 AC Voltage input
  2. L1 and L2 Charging
  3. Portable
  4. Should Last as long as the car I own
  5. Ruggedness
  6. Long Charging cord
  7. Standard plug/receptacle
My requirements for the exterior wall mounted electrical supply are
  1. Common Plug
  2. Availability from Home Depot or Lowes
  3. Weatherproof housing that protects the plug recipticle connection

EVI Plug-in EV Charger manufactured by Electric Vehicle Institute (EVI) for $345 with shipping at Amazon seems to be the best choice.

:confused:Before my money flies out of my wallet I would like some feedback.

• [1]Has anyone used EVI products and would you buy it again?
    [2]Any problems that have been experienced and did they get resolved?
    [3]Is there a better EVSE solution on the market?

The gamut of electrical plugs and housings is another post entirely

·
Administrator
20,158 Posts
Sold by EVI, made in China. I'd go with a Clipper Creek model if they have one that fits your 120/220 requirement. There units are known to be rugged and dependable.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Don't see the EVI EVSE on either Lowes or HomeDepots web site as per your requirements. I also find it odd they don't have more photos on the EVI site.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I've seen this AeroVironment model around (the TurboCord Dual), and even got a printed brochure from the local Chevrolet dealer about it. It seems like it would fit your requirements, and I have heard some good things about AV chargers in general (they do a lot of custom branded manufacturer units).

http://store.evsolutions.com/chevy-compatible-ev-charging-stations-c39.aspx
I bought the TurboCord back in Sept. It's smaller than the OEM and dual Volt. It's got a 3 year warranty? Mine did stop charging recently. I called them and got a replacement within a week, no real hassles.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
If I could do it over, my specs would be similar. This GE beast is good, but, it's HUGE.

Hmmm. The link shows an L1 charger (110v only) even though it says 'Level 2' in the description.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yah, I don't understand why so many of them are so huge (and expensive). They generally hold a relay and a tiny circuit board to generate the pilot signal, do the diode check, read the ground-fault current, and control the relay. Using a commercial 50A relay, you're looking about about two cups of total volume required. An OpenEVSE can be built into a standard-depth outdoor 2-gang wallbox. All the rest of the size is marketing, IMO.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,462 Posts
A member here, VegasBrad, used to build units to your specification using OpenEVSE components and his offerings looked better than most commercial units, and pricing was definitely better. I don't know if he was banned from advertising once the new classified sections were implemented or not. If you want flexibility in travel to use whatever outlet is available, you'll need an array of pigtails to convert to the different receptacles.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Buy the Clipper Creek, you won't be sorry. The Volt specific is Model LCS-20 which will charge your volt at maximum speed offered by the Volt, 3.5 to 4.0 hours from empty. Anything more powerful is lost on the Volt. They sell them for $379 and you can put any plug on you desire, or for $399 they include an installed NEMA 14-30 plug. Can be used indoors or out and has a 22 foot cord. I've had mine for about 9 months hard wired in my garage. Works flawlessly. Clipper Creek will honor their warranty even if it is user installed (most require certified electrician or warranty is voided). Very nice people, very helpful, great product, great warranty. Give them a call.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with Dodman and the others who have recommended the Clipper Creek. I installed the LCS-20 and couldn't be happier. It's a great product for the Volt, and you can't beat that price!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

·
Administrator
20,158 Posts
I don't know if he was banned from advertising once the new classified sections were implemented or not.
lol People act as if we ban people left and right. Have you noticed that several of our members sell things here like cargo covers, emergency power supply kits, etc.? Do you know how long it's been since we banned someone? I'll tell you, about 6 minutes ago and they were a spammer. Now, how long since we banned an actual participating member? I think it's been years.

I think the last we banned was a guy from Wisconsin who later went on to sue Tesla because his fuses kept popping (until Tesla put some spy software in that could tell if he was doing it deliberately, then the fuse blowing mysteriously stopped).

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,462 Posts
lol People act as if we ban people left and right. Have you noticed that several of our members sell things here like cargo covers, emergency power supply kits, etc.? Do you know how long it's been since we banned someone? I'll tell you, about 6 minutes ago and they were a spammer. Now, how long since we banned an actual participating member? I think it's been years.

I think the last we banned was a guy from Wisconsin who later went on to sue Tesla because his fuses kept popping (until Tesla put some spy software in that could tell if he was doing it deliberately, then the fuse blowing mysteriously stopped).
My question was whether VegasBrad was "banned from advertising," not whether he was banned from the site because of advertising. As I remember it, you specifically mentioned that ClarksonCote and Scarlett were being grandfathered to continue advertising on the classified sections, but VegasBrad was NOT mentioned, and new "commercial entities" were not going to be allowed to advertise. Thus, the question in my mind. Glad Brad is still allowed to participate.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I still like EVSE Upgrade. In fact I'm going to get one in the next week or so. It's very small, virtually indestructible, and supports both 120v and 240v charging (requires an adapter obviously). It's a modified Panasonic unit that comes with the Leaf and it's a quality product. The only thing I miss about the Leaf actually.

My impression based on some comments is that the AV TurboCord is not a quality product but I have no direct experience.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,462 Posts
My impression based on some comments is that the AV TurboCord is not a quality product but I have no direct experience.
Any links? I've seen nothing but positive comments. I just did a quick search to jog my possibly failing memory and saw nothing negative.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The TurboCord is absolutely the best solution for the OP's requirements. It is very compact and uses standard NEMA 6-20 outlet foe 240 V (and everyday NEMA 5-15 or 5-20 for 120 V). At $650 it is not cheap, but it is the best and worth the money.

GSP

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
:cool:
Don't see the EVI EVSE on either Lowes or HomeDepots web site as per your requirements. I also find it odd they don't have more photos on the EVI site.
The EVI Site is terrible. There presale customer service is awesome. Ask for Matthew Wade. (Tell him Lonnie sent ya, if ya want. I get no referral fee for this. I just like the guy.)

Amazon, Ebay or direct purchase seems to be the options to buying one new.

For my purposes the $390.00 USA PC-0113-PA-62 Deluxe Portable Smart Charger Standard would be just right for my wife's 2015 Volt.

I DIY almost all electrical repairs and installation work at my home. In a previous life I was a refrigeration systems installer and serviceman.
This Old House Video; "Installing An EV Charging Station In Your Home" Starts a about 0:45 and ends at about 10:00.

Electric Vehicle Institute (EVI) is the site I went to. Pictures

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
L1 to 2

If I could do it over, my specs would be similar. This GE beast is good, but, it's HUGE.

Hmmm. The link shows an L1 charger (110v only) even though it says 'Level 2' in the description.
The level 2 has the capability of using 110 AC and will be a Level 1 at that point. You use a "pig tail", a short cord with a 110 plug on one side and a 220 receptacle on the other end of the cord to achieve that.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
When I was looking for an EVSE I was concerned about warranty and quality most of all. There is a made in Canada model out of Quebec that intrigued me but I was concerned whether or not they would be around in a few years to service the unit if I should have issues of any sort. In the end I went with a Sun Country Highway model. It's not made in Canada but made by Clipper Creek of course which has a great reputation for quality in the community and hopefully if I have any sort of issues with it in the next few years I'll be able to get parts for it.

YMMV of course but I'm hesitant to purchase products made off shore when there are products of the same type manufactured here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts