GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
No problem with mine. Don't you have a little dohickey (technical term) that you can turn to secure the cover in place?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Constantly pops open on its own and laying on the floor, anyone else?
I've only had it pop off once when the feet weren't securely in the hole and it got tangled in the net which made me believe that it was secure. But that was when I first got it and now I've been careful to make sure that it gets in the holes. If that is not it, then you may want to take it in.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Not sure how it is possible unless the little feet on the bottom of the cover are broken off...

FWIW, there is a little rope across the compartment behind the net. I place the coiled up cable and J1772 plug between the rope and the fender. Then place the EVSE in front between the rope and the net. Keeps it all secure and prevents rattles.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes the bottom feet are present and lined up into the slots.
it is as if the knob that you turn to lock it in place doesn't have enough tension and rotates itself enough to unlatch and fall off.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Have had my 2017 for over two months now. Have not had this problem. Though I haven't used the EVSE that came with the car yet. I have opened it a couple of times just to look at it and show others. I have a hard wired 240V EVSE at home.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have had my 2017 for over two months now. Have not had this problem. Though I haven't used the EVSE that came with the car yet. I have opened it a couple of times just to look at it and show others. I have a hard wired 240V EVSE at home.

I don't use mine either, that is what makes it even more annoying

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
One other thought - the rotating lever on the back of the door has some felt-like material on it. This adds some friction against the back of the surrounding panel to help keep the door tight. Is it possible the felt-like stuff is missing?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
One other thought - the rotating lever on the back of the door has some felt-like material on it. This adds some friction against the back of the surrounding panel to help keep the door tight. Is it possible the felt-like stuff is missing?
ok is mine missing the "felt"

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
ok is mine missing the "felt"
I would suggest simply wrapping the lever with a few layers of black cloth electrical tape. The adhesive on the little 'felt' pad on mine is already starting to liquefy in afternoon heat. If I were opening the compartment daily, I bet mine would have 'disappeared' by now too. It is good that you started this thread, because I bet a lot of Gen 2 owners will see this problem by the end of the summer.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funny you should mention that, I did it this morning but just used regular electrical tape and it has not popped open since

1 - 16 of 16 Posts