GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but got lost in "red light blinking", "blinking 3 times", and all sorts of combos that didn't seem to match my situation so I thought I'd just post my situation. Yesterday, I had plugged the car in to charge using my stock 120v EVSE (car had about 50% battery) and a couple hours later I needed to go out again: the car wasn't fully charged: only charged one segment above 50%. Thought nothing of it: just unplugged and drove away like normal.

When I got home, I parked and plugged it back in like I always do and looked at the dash. I didn't get the normal amber and then green blinking light on the dash so I knew something was up. Tried unplugging and plugging it back in a couple times: still nothing. I looked up (the EVSE is on the ceiling) and saw the red light on solid and the green light blinking continuously. Plugging it in or unplugging it (from the car, not the AC power) didn't change the lights: still red solid and green blinking continuously.

Since it's hard to get up there to unplug the EVSE, I just went to the breaker box and turned the garage breaker off for a few seconds and back on. After that, it worked normally. First time this has ever happened but I must admit I rarely unplug it mid-charge cycle.

Anyone else had this happen? Not that worried since the car charged to full normally last night after power cycling the EVSE.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
From Page 226 of the owners manual a solid red and flashing green is:

Electrical Outlet/Plug Fault: The charge cord has detected that the electrical outlet/plug overheated. Electrical outlets may wear out with normal usage or be damaged over time, making them unsuitable for electric vehicle charging. Do not use an electrical outlet that is worn, damaged, or one that will not hold the plug firmly in place. Use another electrical outlet or have the electrical outlet serviced by a qualified electrician. Reset the charge cord by unplugging the charge cord from the electrical outlet and re-plugging it.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I would suggest that you make the small investment for a new outlet. Then you can make sure the wire connections are solid as well. Otherwise you're likely to see this again.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yikes. Time to make a run to Lowe's for a new outlet. I'll get one with the recommended connections (not the push pin) and will replace it. Thanks for the help.

Mike

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Spend a few dollars more to get the hospital/commercial grade receptacle.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up getting one of these:

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...al/switches-outlets-and-plugs/outlets/3035425

Just installed it. The one I took out is a 20 year old push-pin type and it did look like it was getting discolored from heat. I cut the ends of the wires off and stripped fresh wire, wrapped it tightly in a "U" clockwise around the screws, and tightened them securely. I feel much safer having installed a heavy duty outlet.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
907 Posts
Nice to see a safety feature working as intended. Fault conditions can sometimes be hard to reproduce.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
You can also try lower amp setting.
Not sure on your nerwer than my EVSE if all that on and off may have reset that ?

Both sides of the EVSE generally have no problem being unplug and re-pluged.

The car side drops the pilot first and the car sees that and stops charging and the power side is like a common power outage.

Only 2 times in 7 years have I caused a code ( that self cleared ) when unplugging while charging.

-------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts