GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been using my Gen 2's OEM EVSE in Level 2 mode with an adapter thanks to Chris TX's and this forums users.

I keep the EVSE itself inside my garage but run the long cable out under my garage door. There is a ground depression just enough for the cable to make it through and the weather seal on the bottom edge of the garage door seals around the cable enough. I can still pull the cable in/out with the garage door close with minimal friction and see no impressions in the cable from the garage door resting on it. I coil the excess cable and the J1772 connector on a garden hose mount.

My question is, will continuous exposure to the elements be bad for the EVSE? There might be some rain on it, but not much since the overhang shields the garage doors well (the ground below the overhang has clear demarcation line between clean, bright cement and dark, dirty cement from rain fall). There will be sun hitting the cable and J1772, though. Can anyone with 1+ years of having their EVSE outside report on how well it has held up?

Update:

So, I finally got through 5 pages of search results and found 2 threads with helpful info:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?57665-Live-Test-Soaking-Wet-Charging-Plug&highlight=evse
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?118777-Outside-Charging-Questions&highlight=evse

I'm not concerned with charging in rain (have done so many times already). I'm more concerned about the cable jacket. Best I could find was it's a Carolgrene Electric Vehicle cable, Marketing Part #E333326 (UL). Closest I can find in terms of conductor specs is it's a EVJE163 per following:

http://www.ideadigitalcontent.com/files/10986/pg48_CarolGrene_UltraFlexJacket_Types_EVJE-EVE-_EVJT-EVT.pdf

I'm not too experienced using rubber cables outside, but online research indicates they're designed for outdoor rain. What I can't seem to find is how sunlight/UV damage will affect the rubber.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I would not call 1 year long term.
Guaranteed the cable will last a few years without issue.
20+ years, can't say how it will hold up to UV weakening.
Many members here have had one outside 24/7 for 5+ years now. They're designed to be used in all elements.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have a few EVSE's that I installed and manage at my workplace and have been in place for over two years. They see daily use probably 3x each per day.

We put electronics and the plug end in a NEMA 4 enclosure because we had them available. It's a fairly dusty industrial environment. The cords hang out and we have no cable management. We find the normal twist kinking of the cords, but no UV degradation or insulation breaks. I would expect that these see more rough treatment than anything you would do at home.

My home EVSE installed at approximately the same time has no cable kinking or twisting, as it's use is more consistent.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My current Gen 1 (2012) cable has been out in the (Seattle) sun for about 2 years. The original was replaced under warranty, the handle failed to release from the car one morning. The exposed cable is now yellow instead of orange, but the material has not broken down yet. Recently replaced with a level 2 unit for that quick turn around on a full charge.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I'm more concerned about the cable jacket.....
Specs for Portable Cord

TYPES SOOW & SJOOW

Synthetic Rubber Insulation with Oil-Resistant Thermoset Jacket SOOW 90 °C (600V) • SJOOW 90 °C (300V)

- UL listed (file no. E7362) as SOOW & SJOOW
- CSA certified (file no. LL8825) as SOOW & SJOOW
- OSHA acceptable
- Sunlight, water, and weather resistant per UL & CSA
- Resistant to oil, acid, impact, abrasion, water, flame and high temperature
- Passes MSHA flame test (P-136-MSHA)
- Maintains flexibility
- ICEA where applicable
- SOOW can also be used for special applications as outlined in NFPA 70 (N.E.C.) paragraph 501.4(b) CL.1 Div. 2 l°Cations and paragraph 501.11 CL.1 Div. 1 and 2.
- UL and CSA listed for continuous submersion In water

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reassurance, everyone! Looks like the cable should be just fine outside in both rain and sunshine. Since I couldn't trace the cable type as SOOW or SJOOW from the Carolgrene PDFs, I was hoping first-hand experience would trump any written specs.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance, everyone! Looks like the cable should be just fine outside in both rain and sunshine. Since I couldn't trace the cable type as SOOW or SJOOW from the Carolgrene PDFs, I was hoping first-hand experience would trump any written specs.
You might find if you inspect the cable closely that the cable type, wire gauge/# of conductors and voltage rating are stamped into the jacket. Sometimes it's so slight that it's easy to miss. I can't say for sure that all EVSE cables are SOOW, but all of the ones I've seen are. It's that very flexible synthetic rubber casing.

Home Depot sells it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts