GM Volt Forum banner

EVSE lights on but no charge

2669 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  wklopf
We have two Volts, a 2012 and a 2013. Yesterday I found that the 2012 did not charge overnight on the supplied level one charger. This is the charger with the charge level selection switch on the case. It also has a heavy orange cord. After a bit of checking on the charger, I noticed that the lights all came on and turned green. However, when I plugged it into the car, nothing happened. The dash light did not come on, nor did the horn sound. It had worked flawlessly earlier in the day. As we have two cars, two cords, and plug them in in two locations, I checked all of the possible combinations. In all cases, this cord did not work (although all of the lights were on) and the other one did. Any suggestions? I have read about fuses burning out in level two chargers. Do the level one chargers have these fuses? Thanks
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
I have not had any problems with mine .. but I do remember reading some past threads about L1 charger fuses going. If you search some of the past threads, fuse replacement has worked and there were some with loose or brittle wires from heat that were also repaired successfully . Good luck

· Registered
4,107 Posts
Are both Volts able to charge with the other EVSE?

Possibly due to wear the plug of the malfunctioning EVSE has a worn contact(s). If your 2012 Volt charges properly with the other EVSE, then the contacts in the car's receptacle are not at fault.

· Registered
3,355 Posts
Are both Volts able to charge with the other EVSE?

Possibly due to wear the plug of the malfunctioning EVSE has a worn contact(s). If your 2012 Volt charges properly with the other EVSE, then the contacts in the car's receptacle are not at fault.
he already tried that. It looks like the '12 EVSE went belly up.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found that there is a fuse on the neutral line (white wire). But, that is ahead of any of the electronics. If that fuse were blown, none of the lights would come on. So, I have some other problem. I'm planning to redo the EVSE with OpenEVSE components, converting it to a level two unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.