GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Metro Detroit and looking to get one of the EVSE's currently offered by DTE (local energy company). See the options available here: http://www.pluginnow.com/charging_stations

The location that I'd like to install this in is at a condo association that has open parking in a parking lot. I'm looking for a good way to lock the cable or restrict access to the station with an RFID tag. Does anyone know of an option for one of the units listed at the link above?

Note that the station will be directly linked to my energy account and not the HOA.

Thanks for your help, just purchased the Volt yesterday and love it!

JT

·
Registered
194 Posts
That is a tricky question... you might have to find a way to lock one of those stations physically in order to restrict access (which will be a pain in the ass for you on a daily basis...)

I'm not sure, but I think DTE may cover the install cost of an additional meter, and wiring in a charge station, if you buy yours independently... at which point, you may be able to purchase a charge point station w/ RFID tag... but that will probably cost you several thousand dollars in itself. It probably not the most economic of options...

http://www.chargepoint.com/products-chargepoint-stations.php

I would recommend getting the power express station as it has a plug, so you could just unplug it and take it with you while you are not using it. The down side is you would be more subjectable to theft... but not sure how real of a problem that is... Do you have assigned parking?

·
Registered
328 Posts
How are you mounting the charging station? on a post or? will you have 110 at that location as well as 220? since it is on your account will you have a breaker some place inside that is secure? If so maybe put a timer on the circuit to only power unit when you would normally charge. ? If you will have 110 as well as 220 outside depending on what you are mounting the station on or in (and inside an enclosure may be the best idea) you may be able to have a keypad or possibly a keypad and a prox or rfid reader to complete the circuit to use the station. (thinking of a keypad arrangement similar to what Menard's or Home Depot have to control use of their saws used to cut lumber to length for customers). an enclosure that you could secure and cover the unit with would be the best (my opinion) with a slot you could run the cord and plug into your car then close and lock the enclosure only leaving the cord and plug exposed. when done charging open enclosure, hang up cord, lock enclosure and leave.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Bosch doesn't offer the Voltec L2 any more?
How could that happen?

·
Registered
328 Posts
That right there is pretty much what you need, since it's outside I'd try to find something that is enclosed in solid sheet steel rather than the meshey material so someone doesn't jam and poke the unit with a tire iron or similar. That plus a high security lock like Medeco or Mul T Lock and I think you are good to go.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
That plus a high security lock like Medeco or Mul T Lock and I think you are good to go.
I'm not sure there is such a thing as a high security lock anymore in the age of YouTube. "Lock Bumping" How To's are all over the place.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts