GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
The charger problems for my 2013 Volt started some months ago. It starts with a soft horn noise repetitively then it would read "charge override interrupt occurred," and stop charging the car. It become more frequent until it wouldn't reset. We called the original charger manufacturer, Bosch, and they said to flip the breaker switch off and then on. When we did it made a loud pop, began smoking and it quit working. They said it was out of warranty because it was over 3 years old. We bought a clippercreek charger and it worked for a couple of weeks then the soft alarm error messages began again. We took the Volt to the dealership, after a while they said we needed to do a software update. They charged us for that because it wasn't under warranty, but the next day it did it again. The dealer now says it's a charger problem, but two different brands doing the same thing sounds wrong. Any advice?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The dealer now says it's a charger problem, but two different brands doing the same thing sounds wrong. Any advice?
They mean the charger inside the car. What you call a "charger" is called an EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment).

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sounds more like a line or wiring problem. I wouldn't expect the Volt to cause an EVSE to catch fire.

Good advice about testing it a public charger. My guess is that it will charge without an issue.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Get an electrician to check your house wiring. Quick. Are the two phases unbalanced? Neutral wires loose somewhere else? I'm worried for you CC unit and your Volt at this point. Could be a power utility issue too.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Terminology can be confusing. The charger is behind the passenger side front bumper, behind the wheel well liner. The "charger cord" (also called an EVSE) is the thing that plugs into the wall.

Like DonC, I suspect an electrical issue with the 120V outlet or 240V line your EVSE is connected to. Trying a public charging station is a good idea. Of course, the Chevy dealer has one as well. Why they did not test it with that is surprising. Maybe they did?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
We took the Volt to the dealership, after a while they said we needed to do a software update. They charged us for that because it wasn't under warranty, but the next day it did it again. The dealer now says it's a charger problem, but two different brands doing the same thing sounds wrong. Any advice?
The software update wasn't covered under the Voltec warranty?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The software update wasn't covered under the Voltec warranty?
Ya, I would call BS on that, unless you have 100k mile on it already. Call the Volt adviser team and get them involved. I'd certainly want my money back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts