GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question to the group:
I will be taking my 2017 LT on a road trip later in the year. I have the charger that came with the car secured to the wall in my garage and want to get another for the road. Thoughts on what might be the best, an L1 or L2 charger. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I carry my L1 charger on road trips. I also carry a 10 guage 40 ft all weather extension cord. I charge overnight but not normally during the day. The Volt's short EV range simply makes it easier to not worry about charging during the day. If I can find an available charger I might plug in during the day but knowing that I can always use gas I'd rather leaver chargers available for full BEVs. I'll definitely use a wall charger though.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Get an inexpensive aftermarket charge cord. This way you won't have to worry about losing it or damaging it while on the road. Keep the OEM stuff at home or in your car. They get stolen quite a lot. I bought my car used with low miles and the dealer said the charge cord was stolen out of the car. They had to buy me a new one and it was quite expensive.

I can't guarantee how durable it will be but for the price. It's not bad. But I wouldn't worry too much about charging while on a road trip. This is when the Volt really shines. Get a full charge and set your mode to MOUNTAIN. You will have enough juice for traffic jams and hill climb.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I carry my L1 charger on road trips. I also carry a 10 guage 40 ft all weather extension cord. I charge overnight but not normally during the day. The Volt's short EV range simply makes it easier to not worry about charging during the day. If I can find an available charger I might plug in during the day but knowing that I can always use gas I'd rather leaver chargers available for full BEVs. I'll definitely use a wall charger though.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
830 Posts
I have the TurboCord, which is both L2 & L1. It's the perfect size for travel, much smaller than the OEM L1.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
849 Posts
When you're charging on the road... pull up next to the outlet. Plug into the 120/240. DON'T plug into the car. Put the cable under your front left tire. Pull the car 2 inches forward ONTO the cable. Plug into the car. Charge, and your EVSE will never get stolen. Remember, you can't roll on or off the cable with it plugged into the car.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I mounted the EVSE for my daughter’s Volt right into the framing of the garage with 3” star drive deck screws. Just drilled through the plastic flange area on the sides of the unit. I then also wrapped 3 heavy zip ties under the 2X4 it was mounted to. This garage gets left unlocked and yes there’s thieves in the area. So far no problems. I did notice the zip ties cut once but the star drive screws stymied them.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
830 Posts
I know charge cords get stolen, but who the hell is stealing them?
A padlock through the security hole in the charge handle solves that issue.

Reactions: Peppers Ghost 70
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.