GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been using adapter with my EVSE and charging at 240 VAC for just over a year now without any problems whatsoever. Went to plug in as usual yesterday, and green light plus a blinking red light are present on the EVSE indicating charge cord fault. Anyone else have a fix for this? Is it simply that internal fuse gone bad?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now I'm really puzzled.

Went out there earlier this morning, and it didn't work. Went out there just a few minutes ago, and it worked at 120 VAC, so plugged it into 240 with my adapter, and it works just fine. Color me mystified.

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
Poor or intermittent grounding?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Poor or intermittent grounding?
Good idea. I suppose it could be. Why all of a sudden? I wired everything, and I "thought" I did an exemplary (i.e. anal) job. If it happens again, I'll open up my adapter assembly and rework it if necessary with special attention to the ground wires.

·
Registered
926 Posts
rand49er, my experience is not quite the same as yours. I had initially saw a "green" light meaning the EVSE could allow charging. I then found bird poop and washed the car off, making sure to close the charge door. I then opened the charge door and when I went to plug in, I noticed amber dash charge light. Went to the EVSE and it showed solid RED meaning ground fault. Unplugged the J1772 and noticed some water dripping down between connectors. So I dried my Volt's charge port best I could, let it sit in the sun open for a few hours, then plugged it back in. Green light on the EVSE and green light on the dash and everything was charging.

Perhaps you had some water in the charge port? I also one day found a moth inside my charge port (scared the living daylights out of me as it flew out). Perhaps some critter bridged a contact or two when you plugged in?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure, quirkySquirt, if it was wet or not. We have had a bit of rain around here lately, and I've had to park my car outside (it's usually in the garage). I'm going to watch the moisture issue carefully and the dash light in the future.

BTW, got into it this morning, and it had fully charged.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It’s been my experience with outdoor charging this can happen from time to time due to moisture or other material interfering with connection points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
With my old house, even with new cabling from the box, I get a charge fault almost every day in the summer. Everything from turning on my microwave to my dehumidifier kicking on. The house has pretty low voltage, so I think it kicks off due to the sag. Anyway, it beeps at me for 30 seconds or whatever and then keeps charging. It's really no big deal for me (and I'm moving in 22 days!).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts