GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys had city permit for the EVSE that was installed in your garage?

Also, do you need a license electrician if you are going to get a permit?

·
Registered
68 Posts
How many of you guys had city permit for the EVSE that was installed in your garage?

The 240V Bosch EVSE came as a promotion with my ELR, and GM handled the install including the permit and licensed electrician.
Everything was handled properly in a timely manner.

2014 ELR Red W/Cashmere int, Luxury & ACC

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You need to check local laws, your building permit office will know the rules. It varies down to city level in areas. Most cities adopt NEC with some additions (like my local areas requires 20 amp service to a garage).

If you do it yourself make sure you do it according to code. The law in most areas will be a permit and possibly an inspection (more likely if you aren't licensed). Half the time local electricians tend to skip permit process...

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
This is not my area at all so take this FWIW: What you need very likely depends on where you live. Where I am the city required a permit and an inspection but, after looking at an overwhelming number of requests, decided it didn't want to bother with the inspection. That's a big deal because the permit was not a big deal. My guess is that Alpharetta will be similar.

I believe things changed again because when I had the second EVSE installed I don't think the electrican pulled a permit (may also have been as viking79 said it's standard practice not to). Again depends on where you are. You don't need a licensed electrician even if you need an electricain. However I'd suggest having an electricain do the install if you're not familar with wiring.

But here is something to think about. The EVSE does not need to be hard wired to the wall. It can be one that just plugs in. Given that a permit for a 240v outlet is not a big deal, and given that once the outlet is installed you don't need a permit to plug an EVSE in, you likely can install a plug in EVSE with minimum hassle even if a hard wired EVSE requires an inspection.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @DonC.

There is a gentleman in my neighborhood who has done few installs. So he knows his stuff. But I believe, he is a handyman. So if the city needs a licensed electrician, I might be in trouble.

But as you said, it is fairly straightforward. Not sure why they need a permit. I already have my breaker panel in the garage. But I prefer someone who knows the stuff do it. He charges $100 (not bad). I ordered ClipperCreek LCS-20 EVSE.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks @DonC.

There is a gentleman in my neighborhood who has done few installs. So he knows his stuff. But I believe, he is a handyman. So if the city needs a licensed electrician, I might be in trouble.

But as you said, it is fairly straightforward. Not sure why they need a permit. I already have my breaker panel in the garage. But I prefer someone who knows the stuff do it. He charges $100 (not bad). I ordered ClipperCreek LCS-20 EVSE.
The city cannot require you to have a licensed electrician do the work, They can only require the work to meet code requirements regardless of who does it. God forbid a world where local government could make any requirements like that with respect to you and your property!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
...so many reasons to get a PLUG IN evse...not the least of which is portability- like when you move, you get to take it with you. Also, since different plug in varieties come with different plug styles, it really is not that hard to go to Home Depot and buy a different socket if you end up with a different evse, and swapping it out yourself.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

I had mine installed by a licensed electrician and inspected by my town. I could have done it myself but prefer to have that documentation on file should I ever need to file a potentially-related insurance claim.

KNS

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
You need to check local laws, your building permit office will know the rules. It varies down to city level in areas. Most cities adopt NEC with some additions (like my local areas requires 20 amp service to a garage).

If you do it yourself make sure you do it according to code. The law in most areas will be a permit and possibly an inspection (more likely if you aren't licensed). Half the time local electricians tend to skip permit process...
This ^^^^^

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
When I had my Blink EVSE installed via the DOE Project over 5 years ago, I had a "certified electrician" (one designated by the program as qualified) do the work. He pulled the permit from the city and put a conduit from the panel into the garage with an outlet. The EVSE plugs into the outlet so no hard wire. My biggest problem with the final inspection was demonstrating to the inspector that the electrical panel (only 100 A service) could handle the EVSE, as well as electric stove and dryer. The electrician did some calculations to convince the inspector and he signed off on the permit. So far, I have not had any problems with tripping any breakers. In retrospect, I should have upgraded the panel to 200 A, but the whole process was time consuming, and I was eager to get the LEAF and EVSE install.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a detached garage, and was thinking of having a 240 volt charger attached directly to the outside of the house near the driveway. Could that be more of a problem? (I know it would be cheaper.)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I have a detached garage, and was thinking of having a 240 volt charger attached directly to the outside of the house near the driveway. Could that be more of a problem? (I know it would be cheaper.)
Mine's been hardwired to the outside of the house for four years, with no problem. I was told at the time it had to be hardwired to pass inspection, but I can't speak for the regulations in your area. I also can't even say whether the hardwiring requirement was because it was an outdoors installation, local code, or what.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Mine's been hardwired to the outside of the house for four years, with no problem. I was told at the time it had to be hardwired to pass inspection, but I can't speak for the regulations in your area. I also can't even say whether the hardwiring requirement was because it was an outdoors installation, local code, or what.
If it's any consideration, (almost) all of the the EVSEs that state they're okay for outdoor installation are of the the hardwired type, not plugged. Not bucking that convention seems a good solid step toward avoiding trouble later.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If it's any consideration, (almost) all of the the EVSEs that state they're okay for outdoor installation are of the the hardwired type, not plugged. Not bucking that convention seems a good solid step toward avoiding trouble later.
I agree. I've considered a plugged in circuit, but I think I'll avoid that just as you indicate and do a hardwired one.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Thanks @DonC.

You are in Georgia, I would not worry about it and just do what is best for you. No one is ever going to look to see if a permit was pulled.

I had an EVSE installed a couple of months ago by an electrician. No permit was pulled. Not sure if it was needed or not. Nor do I really care.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You are in Georgia, I would not worry about it and just do what is best for you. No one is ever going to look to see if a permit was pulled.

I had an EVSE installed a couple of months ago by an electrician. No permit was pulled. Not sure if it was needed or not. Nor do I really care.
I don't know the regulations in Atlanta, but here the lack of a permit if it is required could cause a problem when the house is sold. The buyer could request a copy of the permit, and if it is missing then the fun begins.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't know the regulations in Atlanta, but here the lack of a permit if it is required could cause a problem when the house is sold. The buyer could request a copy of the permit, and if it is missing then the fun begins.
Ehh, IMO it all depends. I did extensive work (7 separate remodeling projects over 19 years) on my last house, and a good portion of it was done without permits and/or without a final inspection. I did it all to code though (save for installing electrical outlets every 4 feet around the kitchen island), and took pictures (of anything that would be hidden before it got covered up) as proof. When it came time to sell the house, I merely disclosed all the work that I had done without permit and/or final inspection and had zero problems for it. If the work is done properly and in a professional manner, and you disclose it outright when selling, it really isn't a big deal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts