1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Saw it in yesterdays newspaper.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
No doubt this is not the only abuse of this program. But I'm not sure whether I'd call this a scam in the traditional sense since the victim was really the USA. I think the "investors" fully understood the deal.

Would be interesting to know how many of these visas were at least a bit sleazy. Reminds me of tax scams before the "at risk" rules went into effect.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The investors say that not only were they misled about GreenTech’s prospects, their immigration status is now in jeopardy because of the company’s legal and financial problems.

“Defendants’ conspiracy has caused Plaintiffs to be left without an investment to serve as the basis of their immigration application, likely resulting in the loss of any immigration status they currently have,” the suit reads.
The suit claims that the pair “misrepresented” the number of jobs that GreenTech would generate while also falsely claiming that the car company had been selected as a Defense Department contractor. McAuliffe and Rodham also made false claims about GreenTech’s financial situation, including overstating the amount of collateral the company had for its outstanding loans, according to the complaint.

“They painted a false picture of the state of the company, including instructing employees to pretend to be working while investors toured the plant,” the suit alleges. McAuliffe and Rodham also “lied about the sales and expected sales of the company” during their investment pitches.

McAuliffe and Rodham also failed to disclose the existence of government investigations into GreenTech. The company came under investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission. A 2015 report released by the Department of Homeland Security’s inspector general also showed that McAuliffe and Rodham pressured Alejandro Mayorkas, then the director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, to approve visas for GreenTech.
I think their standing is clear if this is true. Would I take McAuliffe's word on anything?

McAuliffe Claims Gun Violence Kills 93 MILLION Americans A Day

He later corrected himself to say “93 individuals” after being asked by another reporter on the first number he gave.
Oh, he..... um..... "misspoke" I guess. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, what happened to GreenTech Automotive?

GreenTech Auto shutters its doors, closes Mississippi factory

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I think their standing is clear if this is true. Would I take McAuliffe's word on anything?

McAuliffe Claims Gun Violence Kills 93 MILLION Americans A Day

Oh, he..... um..... "misspoke" I guess. :rolleyes:
Yeah, "misspoke" is what I tend to believe happened when someone says something that they know is wrong, everybody else knows is wrong, and is so far from possible that it strains the credulity that anyone WOULD believe it, knowing even some common knowledge facts. Especially since "93 a day" is pretty close to true.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, "misspoke" is what I tend to believe happened when someone says something that they know is wrong, everybody else knows is wrong, and is so far from possible that it strains the credulity that anyone WOULD believe it, knowing even some common knowledge facts. Especially since "93 a day" is pretty close to true.
It's a funny thing with people who "misspeak" a lot. The boundaries of credulity get so squishy that they essentially cease to exist. In that perception of reality anything is possible. You know, like the financial soundness of GreenTech Automotive. Just gimme $17 million and I'll sing you a sweet song.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts