GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Black '16 Volt Premier
4 Posts
Once upon a time--quite a number of years ago--there was actually an EV1 at Disney in Florida. I'm a bit fuzzy on it now, but I believe it was an interactive display/demo at EPCOT.

Part of the point was to demonstrate the whole "peak torque from zero" thing and that EVs weren't slow, plodding toys. They picked a person from the crowd, then had them sit behind the wheel(!) with the car on rollers. Then on the emcee's cue, you floored it and everyone saw a movie animation of the car virtually zooming across a test lot on a screen in front of the car (and the crowd).

Interesting that one wasn't mentioned. OTOH, for all I know that display is long, long gone and the car is now in one of the collections listed in that article.

· Registered
354 Posts
I saw only one in-the-wild. I was on a business trip to AZ. It was parked and it was still impressive to look at. I still appreciate the rear fender and narrower rear track treatment, reminds me of the Citroen SM.
Decades later I had the opportunity to drive the Penn State EV1 body, I forget whose electric drive and battery pack had been grafted in by Penn State following GM's gutting. Well, "drive" is a stretch. I backed it out of a parking spot, drove to the end of the campus lot, 3 point turn, then back to the parking spot. I was unimpressed.
Oh, I understand that the university hadn't had the marketing need to refine the drive they patched together and installed, and that's not the issue. It was the interior quality, fit and finish, switchgear feel, sight lines, entry/exit, all the original GM stuff that wasn't gutted, that was third rate, even compared to the Chevy Cavalier expectations of that late 90's time period when the EV1 was built.
After the up close and personal 'valet' test drive at PSU I realized the interior, where I'd be, wouldn't have made up for the stunning look that everyone outside would see.
The EV1 was just the opposite of the near contemporary VW New Beetle from 1998 which was dorky appearing outside, but spacious and well laid out inside.
Yes, I did own a VW N-B.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts