GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
20,588 Posts
Bloomberg is reporting that the EV Credit is left intact in the new House/Senate compromise tax reform bill that is to be officially unveiled today or tomorrow. Great News! This mean that I will take the 2018 Volt I have ordered!
Dewey Wins! :)

I hope its true, but until the fat lady sings...

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would urge caution.....I don't think ANYTHING is in stone yet.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Great!
Also notice that interest rates just got raised and 3 more increases forecast for next year. I might have just gotten the sense of urgency to purchase (Bolt).

·
Administrator
20,588 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I've just assumed that with four Republican senators from states heavily reliant on car manufacturers which want to retain the credits, and the relatively small amounts involved, that it was likely the credits would remain. But very glad to see that this is apparently the case.

Ha. Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.
So funny though I believe the famous headline was "Dewey Defeats Truman". Speaking of repeating history, but totally OT, we had some of that this week. The newspaper headline was in part due to an early press time and a reliance on polls. The polls were off because the pollster (Gallup) didn't use scientific sampling. The people taking the polls self selected more affluent areas because, well, they're nicer places.

The senate election in Alabama was similar. Pollsters using robo polls had Moore comfortably ahead; traditional pollsters had Jones slightly ahead (except for Fox News which had Jones comfortably ahead). The difference is that robo pollsters are by law prohibited from calling cell phones whereas traditional pollsters can call both. Consequently the robo pollsters missed people without land line phones. These folks are generally younger. Also more liberal, more Democratic leaning, etc. etc.

The difference was that unlike 1946 the polling bias was understood and discussed. But since this was an off year, out of cycle, special election, no one really had any idea who would show up to vote. That caused most to conclude they had no idea how the election would turn out.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
The dealers must all be groaning. I was briefly considering a Bolt when I had trouble with my Volt a couple weeks ago. Emailed six dealers for out-the-door prices. Half of them hinted that I better hurry before the EV tax credits were repealed. I'm sure that BS sales tactic has sold a lot of EVs in the last few weeks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bloomberg is reporting that the EV Credit is left intact in the new House/Senate compromise tax reform bill that is to be officially unveiled today or tomorrow. Great News! This mean that I will take the 2018 Volt I have ordered!

[update scottf200 -- added link]
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...id-to-keep-wind-electric-car-credits-jb5dh81s
Even if the credit is there, the tax bill will make it less useful next year for some who could benefit from it this year. For example, say you have an $8000 federal tax liability under today's tax code, you would get the full benefit of the credit. If you happen to be in a tax situation that will greatly reduce your tax liability under the plan, you won't get the full benefit of the credit. The standard deduction is increased and if you have children, the child tax credit will reduce your liability.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Even if the credit is there, the tax bill will make it less useful next year for some who could benefit from it this year. For example, say you have an $8000 federal tax liability under today's tax code, you would get the full benefit of the credit. If you happen to be in a tax situation that will greatly reduce your tax liability under the plan, you won't get the full benefit of the credit. The standard deduction is increased and if you have children, the child tax credit will reduce your liability.
The standard deduction is increasing by rolling the personal exemption into it and eliminating that. No net effect, except it moves the point of "do I itemize or not?" rather higher. Doesn't affect total tax burden (though other things might).

·
Registered
6,673 Posts

Funny how the others came up when I did a Google image search on Dewey winning.
Now that is funny. Guess one could call that the ultimate in FAKE NEWS.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Now that is funny. Guess one could call that the ultimate in FAKE NEWS.
Nah, it's the same thing that happened in 1948. Actual fake news is what got Brian Ross in trouble.

I've just assumed that with four Republican senators from states heavily reliant on car manufacturers which want to retain the credits, and the relatively small amounts involved, that it was likely the credits would remain. But very glad to see that this is apparently the case.
So wait, it was Republicans who saved the tax credit? Oh the pain! My confirmation bias is running into my cognitive dissonance and it's giving me a whopper of a headache. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Amazing bargain

Helped a friend buy a 2018 Volt this morning...wow, >$6K in dealer discounts in Burien...They did say the Fed tax credit is going away, even after we bought, but it is by definition a sales technique...Unbelievable bargain with no sales tax in Washingon compared to any other car out there....

Wish I could have gotten that deal last year, but am way happy to have enjoyed the vehicle for 18months in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts

Funny how the others came up when I did a Google image search on Dewey winning.
Ha ha! What you may not know is that, because the German paper went to press so long before the election results were available, the paper was printed with a double cover. The second part, the one which you can't see because the paper has been folded over, shows Trump winning. If you look at the full picture below, and compare it to the image you posted, you can see the blue strip which is part of the "Trump Wins" half. Clever use of headlines but apparently some were mislead into thinking it was something else. Too clever by half? Nah. ;)

https://twitter.com/maz_online/stat...esident-maerkische-allgemeine_n_12879488.html

·
Administrator
20,588 Posts
So wait, it was Republicans who saved the tax credit? Oh the pain! My confirmation bias is running into my cognitive dissonance and it's giving me a whopper of a headache. :rolleyes:
It was Republicans who created the tax credit and Bush who signed it into law. That was before Obama sat in a Volt and bailed out GM and Chrysler. Then they all had to be against it, lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts