GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like sales of the Volt have jumped up for November.
People may be snapping them up before they stop making them.

Sales from Oct. for all EV's in the US are up.

Individual Sales
ev-sales-report1.jpg

Total Sales
ev-sales-report2.jpg

Sorry, the EV list of available EV's is so long now I can't capture it in a single image any more.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Looks like sales of the Volt have jumped up for November.
People may be snapping them up before they stop making them.

Sales from Oct. for all EV's in the US are up.

Individual Sales
View attachment 156675

Total Sales
View attachment 156677

Sorry, the EV list of available EV's is so long now I can't capture it in a single image any more.
Except that GM did not announce that they were discontinuing the Volt until after Thanksgiving, November 26 if I am correct. So November sales were pretty much complete by the time of the announcement. More likely this was the pent up demand for the 2019 Volt.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Why the huge Volt sales bump in November?

For myself, I kept waiting for someone to make a better PHEV or EV for a reasonable price. Tesla was dragging its feet on the 35K model and the $7,500 would be long gone by the time it came out. When it looked like GM was close to losing the $7,500 incentive, I thought it was now or never. I am glad I bought it although I might have saved an additional $2-3K on it once it was discontinued. I expect a similar Volt sales figure in December. If GM had sold ~4000 Volts for few more months previously, they might not have canceled the Volt.

I looked at the Honda Clarity and they wanted to add $3-4K onto the base price (flashing rear center brake light, paint treatment, and probably food coloring in the windshield fluid). I cannot understand people paying for all the useless stuff. I walked out of the showroom feeling good that they were not the only game in town.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased my Volt on the last day of November. I felt it was now or never with the tax break set to expire and the model being discontinued. And the 0% for 72 helped push me as well.

·
Administrator
20,591 Posts
I felt it was now or never with the tax break set to expire and the model being discontinued. .
This may be one common reason for the increased sales.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The $7500 tax break for the Volt/Bolt will continue until end of June. There's a 2 quarter lag after the 200k car limit is hit. Of course, if you want to take the credit for 2018's tax year, then you have to get a car before year-end. I got my 2016 the last week of 2015.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The $7500 tax break for the Volt/Bolt will continue until end of June. There's a 2 quarter lag after the 200k car limit is hit. Of course, if you want to take the credit for 2018's tax year, then you have to get a car before year-end. I got my 2016 the last week of 2015.
Doesn't this Dec count toward the 1st 1/4 since they eclipsed 200k in Nov with the $7500 ending on March 31st 2019?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
GM had some good deals on the Volt, plus the announcement, plus the scarcity mentality with the Federal Tax Credit phase out, plus some of the basic improvements with the Volt platform.

I'd be interested to know how much people actually valued the 7.2 kW on board charger. As a Volt owner, I admit that it does represent a significant upgrade in functionality, but not enough to wait for the feature.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
One quarter plus the remainder of the quarter in which the 200k mark is hit. So it could be as much as "nearly two whole quarters", or as little as one quarter plus a day. Volts are good through March. And February is a short month.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
One quarter plus the remainder of the quarter in which the 200k mark is hit. So it could be as much as "nearly two whole quarters", or as little as one quarter plus a day. Volts are good through March. And February is a short month.
That’s why I bought one in November knew the 200k was looming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You're right. Current quarter and next quarter, full tax credit. Then, dropping in half for 2 more quarters. So, the deadline for the full credit doesn't expire at year-end, but the quarter after. But, if you want to take the credit on 2018's taxes, then certainly you need to buy your car by year-end.
Doesn't this Dec count toward the 1st 1/4 since they eclipsed 200k in Nov with the $7500 ending on March 31st 2019?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts