GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a Volt yet. I took a 2017 Volt Premier for a test drive yesterday. The battery "EV Range" indicator in the lower left display indicated 29. When we drove off it went grey and the motor was running by the graphic display most of the test drive. We drove around maybe 4 miles and it remained greyed out. We checked the Mode and it was in Normal Mode. I turned the car off and back on again. The EV Range was no longer greyed out, that is until I started driving and then it greyed out again in "Normal" mode. The Battery indicator ring remained green. It never indicated less than 29 either. It appeared to be "holding" the battery at 29 miles[/B]. Is this normal behavior or is there something wrong with the car? I expected full battery usage until it got low then the engine would kick in.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I don't own a Volt yet. I took a 2017 Volt Premier for a test drive yesterday. The battery "EV Range" indicator in the lower left display indicated 29. When we drove off it went grey and the motor was running by the graphic display most of the test drive. We drove around maybe 4 miles and it remained greyed out. We checked the Mode and it was in Normal Mode. I turned the car off and back on again. The EV Range was no longer greyed out, that is until I started driving and then it greyed out again in "Normal" mode. The Battery indicator ring remained green. It never indicated less than 29 either. It appeared to be "holding" the battery at 29 miles[/B]. Is this normal behavior or is there something wrong with the car? I expected full battery usage until it got low then the engine would kick in.
It could be that the Volt's gas engine had not been started in 6 weeks time and then the Engine Management Mode was running. This takes ~10 minutes, it is designed to circulate the fluids and lubricates the internal engine parts. The Volt may briefly display a message on the driver's console to inform the driver what is happening. Else, the gas in the Volt was approaching being 12 months old. In that case the Volt will start Fuel Management Mode to use up the old gas in the tank each time the Volt is driven. FMM will continue until all of the fuel has been used or until an proportionate amount of fresh fuel is added to the tank. Volts typically are delivered from the factory with ~2.5 gallons of fuel. So if there were 2 gallons of old fuel remaining then adding 1 or 2 gallons of fresh fuel would suspend the FMM for a number of months (i.e., FMM would be suspended for 6 months if 2 gallons of fresh fuel is added.)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
That sounds like Engine Maintenance Mode, but I'm not sure that the EV Range indicator is greyed out during this. It could have been Fuel Maintenance Mode if the car is a year old. I have never seen FMM and don't know if EV Range is greyed out when it is running.

·
Registered
873 Posts
That sounds like Engine Maintenance Mode, but I'm not sure that the EV Range indicator is greyed out during this. It could have been Fuel Maintenance Mode if the car is a year old. I have never seen FMM and don't know if EV Range is greyed out when it is running.
It is grayed out. When I took my Volt home from the dealer, it went into FMM as I was leaving, which was very disappointing (and confusing) as they had charged it up for me. I even pulled over and restarted it to see if it would fix it. The EV range was lit up for a few seconds, and as soon as I started accelerating, it dimmed out and switched to CS mode as if the battery was empty until I refilled it with fresh gas.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yes--the car is likely fine. I had the same issue when I test drove my '17. You may have missed it, but there would have been a display that said "engine maintenance" or "fuel mode maintenance" at startup. Unfortunately, if the dealership is like many Chevy dealerships, they haven't driven their Volts in a while and it is doing EMM or FMM. Heck, you should feel fortunate it still had some charge left.

With that said, you now know the car has been sitting for a while which means they should be ready to deal. I insisted that the dealership ensure the car actually drove IN EV MODE before I took delivery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to ALL for the great answers. The dealer let me drive it for a day. My hope was that after 15 minutes run time it would exit the mode it is running in but it didn't. I expect it is FMM. I'll look for the message this morning when I start the car. If not for the answers you have given me I would have returned the car to the Dealer. I will buy it now. The 0% interest and $7500 back make it irresistible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts