GM Volt Forum banner

EV range extending

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Rickoshay 
#1 ·
Newbie here.....I've searched and searched but can't find it.
I know while I was researching Volts, i ran across a thread here where someone found a button sequence to access the extra capacity of the traction battery....he called it Voltimorting.

2 questions:
1. Is it a hoax ?
2. If not, where can I finf it?

If it's true, I'd like to occasionally use it.

Thanks.

#7 ·
Ahh yes the ol Konami code Voltamort. Yep April fools.

From my experiance, these will help extend your range.

1. Use Mountain mode to scale hills. If your engine has not been started yet, switch to Hold Mode about 7 minutes before the base of the hill. Also use Hold if you aren't at the 1/2 battery threshold for MM.
2. These cars LOVE traffic. The slower the better your KW usage.
3. Max PSI on your front tires. You'll slightly compromise ride quality and cornering but you'll gain a little range.
4. Seat warmers on cold days instead of the heater.
5. Low for stop and go, Drive for highway.

#10 · (Edited)
6. Minimize (don't maximize) regen.
7. Coast like crazy
8. Drive like a grandpa
9. D gets me more range than L

But after 2 years of trying to eek out every last EV mile I could out of the car, what did I do? I slapped cool looking, but heavier, ev range killing 18" wheels and stickier deep treadded tires on the volt, stopped driving like a grandpa, and now drive a little over the speed limit on the highways while taking on any and all pony cars and ricer boys at stoplights. The car still gets me 70 MPG on the dash with my 65 mile round trip commute without charging at work.

Amazing car, but after the range honeymoon is over, just drive, enjoy, and eat a few V8 mustangs, vettes, camaros, and challengers while you are at it.

#8 ·
The Volt has plenty of power between the two electric motors to travel mountainous terrain as long as you have sufficient charge. If you wait too long and you are already the the mountains, propulsion will be reduced.

"Mountain Mode should be selected at the beginning of a trip before climbing steep, uphill grades and when expecting to drive in very hilly or mountainous terrain. This mode maintains a reserve electrical charge of the high voltage battery to provide better grade climbing performance."

"It is recommended to select Mountain Mode at least 20 minutes before driving on steep grades. This will allow the vehicle time to build a sufficient battery charge reserve."

"If Mountain Mode is not selected for these conditions, propulsion power may be reduced and the engine speed may increase."

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.