GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you do?

I live in EV paradise! http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechcons ... ctric-cars

Went out for a V-Day dinner to a nice restaurant in a part of town I don't go to much. Looked at Plugshare and there were 6 new L2's half a block away!
3 of the spots were ICE'd.

Do you leave a pre-printed Nasty-gram on their windshield?
I dropped the special lady friend at the restaurant and was alone, in the dark,,, so I raised the wiper blades on those offending cars. Am I setting myself up for an Ass Whoppin?

I'm still researching if the city has a tow rule for EV parking. I found the city code for "EV Parking". I think it should read "EV Charging". I should redeem myself and get involved in city rule making!
I'm not for towing immediately.
What about police leaving warning tickets for ? 6 months ? just to get the word out first, before the towing begins.

Thoughts? ( I know this has been covered multiple times, sorry )

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
So what do you do?

I live in EV paradise! http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechcons ... ctric-cars

Went out for a V-Day dinner to a nice restaurant in a part of town I don't go to much. Looked at Plugshare and there were 6 new L2's half a block away!
3 of the spots were ICE'd.

Do you leave a pre-printed Nasty-gram on their windshield?
I dropped the special lady friend at the restaurant and was alone, in the dark,,, so I raised the wiper blades on those offending cars. Am I setting myself up for an Ass Whoppin?

I'm still researching if the city has a tow rule for EV parking. I found the city code for "EV Parking". I think it should read "EV Charging". I should redeem myself and get involved in city rule making!
I'm not for towing immediately.
What about police leaving warning tickets for ? 6 months ? just to get the word out first, before the towing begins.

Thoughts? ( I know this has been covered multiple times, sorry )
Personally, I do nothing. This has been an issue since the dawn of Handicap parking spaces. My life it too short to dwell on something as trivial as this. My suggestion? Drive on and enjoy your day :)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Whip it out and pee on every door handle. Make sure the "splatter" makes no doubt to what it is.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The restaurant is responsible for not putting up a sign identifying the parking spot, and a warning to ICEV owners that they will be moved by force if they block the space and charged for the tow away. Then park a tow truck nearby. Only the pure idiots will not get the "warning"!

Meanwhile, print a set of warnings on light tissue paper, and coat the back side with a water based glue. Carry a spray bottle with the papers. When the need arrives, wet the windshield and driver window of the offending ICEV, then stick the warning paper on them. If the water dries the paper will not come out easy, and they have to scare the paper off. That will not harm the ICEV but make them lose time to remove the paper. They will not black the parking space again!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Three very good suggestions so far...

In my younger days I was the vigilante type; pointing out evil doers mistakes and steering them on the path to righteousness. These days, I adopt the "Don't wrestle with a pig" philosophy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I plan to add some pre-printed signs to the stack of signs I have planned to keep in my car for a long time.

"Hey! Park between the lines, not on them!"

"Your car is not that precious! One spot shoould do ya!"

I'll get around doing it soon- right now though, I have tickets to a pig wrestling championship.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
EV parking is not the same as handicap parking. Handicap parking is a matter of law, EV parking is a private business. Misuse of a handicap spot carries with it a massive fine, misuse of an EV spot is up to the owner of the spot, they can choose to hire a towing service just like the owners or parking lots do.

If you choose to leave a note then make it polite, pissing someone off isn't helpful. BTW we Volt owners are in a gray area because EV charging is merely a convenience for us not a necessity. I've seen online comments from Leaf owners complaining about Volts at EV parking spots, they feel that they should have a priority because charging is life or death for them, my attitude towards that is that it's not my fault that they bought the wrong car.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Three very good suggestions so far...

In my younger days I was the vigilante type; pointing out evil doers mistakes and steering them on the path to righteousness. These days, I adopt the "Don't wrestle with a pig" philosophy.
See, that's the problem. That's why people continue to not signal, text and drive, take spots that aren't appropriate for them, etc, because no one calls them out. We have social norms that must be maintained by society. When one deviates, they need a correction.

Everyone is fully aware of my position on electronically impaired driving.

·
Registered
677 Posts
And realize that, if you do get caught, you CAN be arrested!

Meanwhile, print a set of warnings on light tissue paper, and coat the back side with a water based glue. Carry a spray bottle with the papers. When the need arrives, wet the windshield and driver window of the offending ICEV, then stick the warning paper on them.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Personally, I do nothing. This has been an issue since the dawn of Handicap parking spaces. My life it too short to dwell on something as trivial as this. My suggestion? Drive on and enjoy your day :)
Ditto...Furthermore isn't wipers up a somewhat universal sign that it's going to snow? Offenders, especially if they had some Bacardi, may have actually thought you were doing them a favor...

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
>The restaurant is responsible for not putting up a sign identifying the parking spot, and a warning to ICEV owners that they will be moved by force if they block the space and charged for the tow away. ......
>>...Furthermore isn't wipers up a somewhat universal sign that it's going to snow? Offenders, especially if they had some Bacardi, may have actually thought you were doing them a favor...
>I should have clarified that the parking slots were clearly marked with a big EV painted on the asphalt.
And this is a city-wide network. The parking lots can be private or public.
I'm thinking there needs to be a city-wide law concerning ICE'd parking. I haven't found it yet.
And it is divided between two states and many suburban cities, but all the stations are networked with the power company and chargepoint.

>>Funny! But it was an unseasonably warm romantic evening! (Aww, :p)
My desert cocktail was The Dude. So there may have been Bacardi involved for me!! She had some chocolate monstrosity, of course!;)

Funny side story: While I was raising the wipers on the last car, an SUV started to pull in where I was standing. He may have seen my deeds... He moved and parked 20' away in a normal slot, poor baby.
As I was walking past him to the restaurant, he said something about "I've lived in that building 6 yrs and those things have only been there 6 mons and ..."
I kept walking and said "It's the clean energy future".
He said something else as I kept walking, I didn't hear it, but I said, "Don't you like the clean energy future?".
(I'm really surprised I wasn't 'Key'd' or had tires with air in them when I got back to my BEV, not a Volt.)

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I took a picture of the ICED public charging spot the town PAID to install to the local police station. They had no idea want to do about it. So how much effort is it worthwhile for me to devote to policing them myself? Good thing I have an EREV and not a BEV.

Many people react badly to being called on their actions or being corrected. Just have to keep that in mind when you choose to speak up or do what you think is the right thing.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
If you're near a grocery store, zip tie a shopping cart to the door handle.*

*j/k *but not really*

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Ditto...Furthermore isn't wipers up a somewhat universal sign that it's going to snow? Offenders, especially if they had some Bacardi, may have actually thought you were doing them a favor...
:)

Don't get me started on the 'wipers up' BS LOL I've had my wipers freeze to my windshield ONCE in over 30 years and that was during a huge ICE storm.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I took a picture of the ICED public charging spot the town PAID to install to the local police station. They had no idea want to do about it. So how much effort is it worthwhile for me to devote to policing them myself? Good thing I have an EREV and not a BEV.

Many people react badly to being called on their actions or being corrected. Just have to keep that in mind when you choose to speak up or do what you think is the right thing.
Are you consistent? Do you take pictures and report every other violation you witness on a daily basis? Red light runners? Illegal turns/lane changes? People parked in handicap spaces without displaying their credentials? etc?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Are you consistent? Do you take pictures and report every other violation you witness on a daily basis? Red light runners? Illegal turns/lane changes? People parked in handicap spaces without displaying their credentials? etc?

What, you need to report every violation you witness (and chase down some people in the process) in order to be justified in reporting any violations to the police?

"whoa, whoa, you didn't report that 1 guy you saw jay walking? Sorry, you can't report the EV parking violation then. You need to be non-discriminatory in your reporting"

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
If you're near a grocery store, zip tie a shopping cart to the door handle.*

*j/k *but not really*
Don't be surprised if someone keys your car if you do something like that. If you want to leave a polite note, that's fine, if you want to report it to the service desk at the supermarket and have them leave a note that's better. EV parking at a supermarket is just a marketing tool from the market, no different than selling eggs for 69 cents/dozen. Nobody needs L2 charging at a supermarket because people shop close to home and they aren't parked for long enough to make a difference (a Volt might get 4 miles of charge during a typical visit).

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
... People parked in handicap spaces without displaying their credentials? etc?
People parked in handicap spaces without displaying their credentials = Unexplained loosening of one of their valve cores.

¡ JK !,,, at least now that I'm older....

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
People parked in handicap spaces without displaying their credentials = Unexplained loosening of one of their valve cores.

¡ JK !,,, at least now that I'm older....
People parked in handicap stations without a placard or license plate get a massive fine, it's $300 in Massachusetts. Nobody should be taking the law into their own hands, we are a civilized society and we have police for that purpose.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts