GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This Bolt was parked in an EV only parking space, nose out, not charging. Here is a photo of the Bolt being towed. Did the tow truck operator just make an expensive mistake by towing the Bolt by lifting the front wheels, not on a flatbed? Sorry about the license plate, the photo is not mine. Original thread is on Reddit at r/volt titled Getting ICE'd by a Bolt.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm guessing it wasn't a free charger at that spot so the business owner had the car towed because it was blocking a revenue stream. If I was the Bolt owner, I would've just plugged in.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
That was a pretty dumba$$ move on the part of the Bolt owner.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the Volt is also a FWD vehicle but the Volt owner's manual clearly states that the Volt should only be towed on a flat bed using the provided tow hook to load the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Just because the Bolt wasn't plugged in at the current time shouldn't justify a tow...

This would mean anyone could potentially unplug someone else's Bolt, Volt, ect. unbeknownst to the owner and this particular business location would then tow it away as a result!?:confused:

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Just because the Bolt wasn't plugged in at the current time shouldn't justify a tow...

This would mean anyone could potentially unplug someone else's Bolt, Volt, ect. unbeknownst to the owner and this particular business location would then tow it away as a result!?:confused:
That was my question as well. Don't get me wrong. I like the concept of EV charging spots being reserved only for vehicles that are actively charging; however, enforcement hasn't been the most consistent. For most people, it comes down to a simple are they plugged in or not? Most of the abuse I've seen has come from vehicles that are plugged in but no longer charging. Security just ignores those cases.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
The sign says the space is for Whole Foods Market customers only and there's a two hour limit, so who knows.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Well, the Volt is also a FWD vehicle but the Volt owner's manual clearly states that the Volt should only be towed on a flat bed using the provided tow hook to load the vehicle.
Because of the electric parking brake “may” engage. No real mechanical reason. Just for the lawyers. Also, dolly wheels can be used and may have been used. That’s how a 4
AWD vehicle gets towed on a wheel lift.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
These spots need to be labeled 'EV CHARGING ONLY'.

I bring this up to the local large network, but I'm told these spots are always on private property and police can't ticket and tow violators. It's up to the property owner to call in the tow trucks. Of course they don't want to get involved.

I routinely see a Tesla parked in an EV spot and not charging just because it's a handy up close spot.

What can a short range BEV driver do?

·
Administrator
20,226 Posts
The sign says "Electric Vehicle Charging For Whole Foods Market Customers Only. 2 Hour Limit. Towed At Owners Expense"

It could be that the car was charging but exceeded the time limit. The tow operator unplugged the car and towed.
It could be the car was simply parked there while the owner went shopping elsewhere.
Perhaps someone maliciously unplugged the car in order to get the car towed.

Whole Foods may have made a store announcement prior to the tow. We don't know.

Shopping at WF does not take me more than 2 hours, so the limit seems very reasonable, as does the charging requirement. However, even if my local store had a charge station, I would not use it to put 5 miles on the car.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Bolt was parked nose out,. Would the charging cable even reach the charge port?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
The Bolt was parked nose out,. Would the charging cable even reach the charge port?
Typically, yes. The Bolt EV is a short car, and Level 2 AC chargers tend to have longer cords. When I was iced at a destination charger, I was able to plug in despite being in the third spot from the charger (it was to the passenger side, so even farther).

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Not necessarily. At one Chargepoint downtown if you have to park on the left with charge port on the left the cable will only reach if you hug the right hand side of space and park only part way in so the hose doesn't have to travel around the front wheels as far.

At the Chargepoint a few blocks away in a parking lot by the Toronto Dominion Bank the cable is way longer and there is no problem having it reach around the car to be plugged in. Depends on the individual installation on how long the cable is.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Shopping at WF does not take me more than 2 hours, so the limit seems very reasonable, as does the charging requirement. However, even if my local store had a charge station, I would not use it to put 5 miles on the car.
I would, not only for the free charge (which won't amount to much, money or mileage) but to get the parking spot (which may be advantageous) but for other people to see it and think "Gee he's getting free charge, maybe I should be thinking about getting an EV." Even if I have to walk a little farther is fine as it can only be beneficial to your health. Even in non EV parking lots I park away from the maddening crowd as the exercise does me good as see people decade(s) hobbling around because they didn't get any. Use it or lose it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
These spots need to be labeled 'EV CHARGING ONLY'.
The sign does pretty well spell it out - "EV charging only for Whole Foods Customers - 2 hour limit"

Don

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
The sign does pretty well spell it out - "EV charging only for Whole Foods Customers - 2 hour limit
In a much smaller text than the big painted sign on the asphalt that says EV PARKING, I think....

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Can't really tell anything other than the car is being towed. Could be because it's parked and not charging or over the time limit. Could be because it's broken. Could be because it's being repossessed. Driver arrested and car being towed. Stolen car recovery...

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you follow the OP you can read on Reddit under r/volt what transpired. The Bolt was parked, not charging. The space was reserved for customer EV charging. The Bolt was towed. I only posted on gm-volt because I thought maybe the way the Bolt was being towed would damage the vehicle's suspension or other parts of the chassis. That is all.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
If you follow the OP you can read on Reddit under r/volt what transpired. The Bolt was parked, not charging. The space was reserved for customer EV charging. The Bolt was towed. I only posted on gm-volt because I thought maybe the way the Bolt was being towed would damage the vehicle's suspension or other parts of the chassis. That is all.
Yes and an interesting point too, but it did bring up a wider round table discussion.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts