GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
21,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh-oh. 10% fines on worldwide sales is the penalty if the charges hold up.

Apparently Daimler snitched on its co-conspirators in a bid to avoid what happened to VW with dieselgate. Whether their gambit will work in avoiding or reducing penalties remains to be seen.

BMW denies the charges, claims they were trying to IMPROVE the tech, and VW is mum so far, likely reeling from the potential impact of yet another dirty diesel deed on it's reputation and finances.

Might want to accelerate the EV's VW....

the EU says they were indeed in collusion from 2006 to 2014 because they didn’t want to implement clean emissions technology.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/05/business/volkswagen-bmw-daimler-antitrust-emissions/index.html

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I don't know if it's in the works but would be a good bargaining ploy to say OK, instead of a fine we will discount our EV sales which will make up for extra CO2, NOx our diesels have caused, will give citizens a break on buying a new car, get EV acceptance a step up, win win for all concerned. Unlikely to be accepted though as countries are no so worried about pollution but about getting extra revenue for their balance sheet without having to worry about taxes.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The gift that keeps on giving.

I enjoyed both my TDI cars, a 2010 and 2013, both from VW. The one bit of info left out was that even when these cars cheated they were far and beyond cleaner than the immediate generation. Doesn't excuse their cheating the emission systems and they should pony up for that stunt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts