GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2017 Volt, and one of the many features I love is the Adaptive Cruise Control. However I got an unusual error message while driving it home yesterday. While the cruise control was on and working properly, a message appeared on the dash saying the cruise was turning off and it was temporarily unavailable. About 20 minutes later I was able to turn it back on. This happened to me once last week too. Do you know what would cause the cruise control to be unavailable?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was raining last night so that could explain the problem. But last week it wasn't, so maybe the car was dirty last week.
I'll wash the car and see if that fixes the problem.
thanks.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
This happened to me with my ELR a couple times. In misty rain when road dirt gets in the way of the sensors. The camera in the upper windshield seems to be the culprit more than anything else.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anything hindering the sensor or camera will shut down the ACC system or the blind spot warning.

Heavy rain or even a thin layer of slush or snow will really do a number on it too.

·
8,680 Posts
Is it happening in a specific spot? What was the environment like when it happened? (weather, tunnels/guard rails/metal fences, etc.)

Some combinations of features or weather can disrupt automotive radar and I believe most systems respond by disabling for safety until it does some sort of calibration/reset.

The southbound Baltimore tunnels both consistently knock out my first generation Autopilot Tesla this way, while the northbound ones do not. It resets in about five minutes after exiting the tunnel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is a known issue with the 2017 Volts with Adaptive Cruise Control. Please see this thread http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ruise-Control-Temporarily-Unavailable-message

GM is apparently working on a fix. People have figured out two "hacks" to temporarily resolve the problem. Put your foot under the brake pedal and pull it towards you before you engage the cruise control. Alternatively, apply the brake pedal with firm pressure (I do this at the last stop light before getting on the highway on ramp).

Please contact the service department at your dealership, inform them of the problem and possibly refer them to the thread above. They should call GM and ask them for a fix. The more people that report the problem to GM the better.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Easier to wipe the bow tie area of the grille with moist paper towel and also wipe all those round sensor things at the bumpers. Make sure that the windshield in front of the camera is also clean, compared to calling GM.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Easier to wipe the bow tie area of the grille with moist paper towel and also wipe all those round sensor things at the bumpers. Make sure that the windshield in front of the camera is also clean, compared to calling GM.
Dirty sensors are not the problem some people are having. For me, the brake pedal is turning off the ACC since it doesn't stay up all the way. Waiting on GM at the moment.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I've had ACC in many vehicles over the past 10 years. In some systems, once it hiccups you need to stop and restart the vehicle before it will work again (a major pain on the freeway). Other systems would hiccup, and then you just reset it on the fly. Some systems constantly shut down in rain/fog, others kept going no problem. Obviously if your sensor is dirty, that's an easy fix. On the Volt, since the ACC can also use the regen braking system, there might be some issue with the regen getting "stuck" to some degree, but that shouldn't cause a fault message. That should simply turn the system off and/or not allow it to be reset. By the same token, if you have your foot on the brake the ACC simply won't engage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the suggestions, it's working now, but I'll keep an eye on it, and call the dealership if it continues to act up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Putting my foot under the brake pedal and lifting up allowed the ACC to engage. Though it wouldn't always stay on after I let go of the brake pedal.
When I got tired of the ACC not working properly I took it back to the dealer. They said there is a bad part which they replaced and now the ACC is working great!
thanks for all the suggestions.
John.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Putting my foot under the brake pedal and lifting up allowed the ACC to engage. Though it wouldn't always stay on after I let go of the brake pedal.
When I got tired of the ACC not working properly I took it back to the dealer. They said there is a bad part which they replaced and now the ACC is working great!
thanks for all the suggestions.
John.
Thanks for the update Rossini... I think it would be helpful to the community if you could provide the part number/name of the part they said was faulty and replaced. Maybe you could check the service invoice for that info and if not easily found there, call your dealer and ask for it so you can post it back here. Congrats on the fix!

D

·
0 Posts
New owner of 2017 w 16K mi, one month and 1500 miles into it. Same issue, ACC error message, start of 2nd 55mile drive of the day. No issues prior. The only change from previous drives, was that the car was parked in the hottest sun so far, with the Chevy emblem/sensor and camera facing the sun for 6 hours. The interior/exterior was very hot. A few minutes into the freeway driving, the ACC reengaged, and has been stable in the 4 drives since. There was no dirt to be found on the emblem/sensor. So, I'm finding that HEAT is the only anomaly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts