GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The interior of the concept looks very good, almost George Jetson. If GM stays with that style it will sell cars. My concerns are this; comfort and usability. The seat is where we will spend alot of time. I am 6' 3" and about 245lbs. so if the leg room is like the new Civic I won't be driving the Volt much, instead it will be my wife's car. The seats in my Yukon XL are very easy to sit in for an extended period of time, not just from leg room but well designed for comfort. The average 12,000 miles driven per year- I almost double that. That means alot of seat time so if the seat moves back enough for tall people to be relaxed I could be wanting two Volts. Any word on the interior?

·
Registered
211 Posts
GM has stated that the Volt is being designed to handle four 6' 3" people so it's a good guess that you'll have adequate leg room (particularly when the back seat is unoccupied).

As to the comfort of the seats for a 245 lb guy, I have no clue.

Correction:

I just stumbled across the Green Car Congress article where GM talked about the interior. Here is the quote:

"The interior. The shape and placement of the battery has pushed the occupants outboard, or to the sides of the vehicle, so the design team worked with the sections of the roof structure and doors to enable aerodynamics and provide adequate head room. The interior will accommodate a 6-foot 2-inch (99th percentile) male comfortably in the front and rear seats."

So, I misremembered by an inch. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I with you on concerns about fitting tall people. I'm 6'4" 197lbs. Haven't noticed legroom problems but instead headroom. Sat in a cobalt with a sunroof and my head was inside the sunroof area, couldn't see forward or sideways for that matter. It would require leaning over to the side to see out of the front windshield.

GM, if they were thinking, must design the electric seats to go further to the floor and all the way back to the backseat. It should be assumed that if a 6' whatever person buys their car, then it should be assumed a four passenger car becomes a 3 passenger car. GM has to fit the owner of the car if they want to sell the vehicle.. I might also add a comment about the insanity of the curving roof line the curves down into the windshield area...very bad. They show the concept cars with glass roofs and can't seem to pickup on the idea of running the windshield up higher into the roof so tall people can see out... just amazing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking at pictures and renderings, I assume GM will be able to fit 6'3" people into its Volt by lowering the seat height.

We will most likely sit closer to the floor in out Volts. Maybe that's a concern for older drivers who would have a harder time getting in and out of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts