GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was debating whether or not to mod my gen2 to avoid ERDTT, and wasn't planning on doing it since its been relatively warm this winter...only had 3 days where it was cold enough to trigger.

That being said, I may do it in the coming weeks anyway just to avoid the engine from firing up during 'milk runs' around the corner, which is my biggest annoyance.

There is a tonne of pictures and info for how to get at the sensor on gen1 and what resistor value to use, but I cant seem to find the same amount of information on the gen2. Anyone know of a thread where this was discussed in detail with (hopefully) some pictures/instructions?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here's what I've found so far (just some random resistor values I already had):
  • 1k ohms 119°
  • 2.2k ohms 90°
  • 4.7k ohms 60°
  • 10k ohms 32°
  • 15k ohms 19°
  • 22k ohms 6°
Dave

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  • 1k ohms 119°
  • 2.2k ohms 90°
  • 4.7k ohms 60°
  • 10k ohms 32°
  • 15k ohms 19°
  • 22k ohms 6°
Dave
Awesome, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Quick question. I bought this off of ebay and just installed it tonight as I'm anticipating it being cold on the drive to work tomorrow. After I installed it, I noticed the temp display in the car was reading around 55. Will this mod cause the car to report the outside temperature being warmer than it really is?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick question. I bought this off of ebay and just installed it tonight as I'm anticipating it being cold on the drive to work tomorrow. After I installed it, I noticed the temp display in the car was reading around 55. Will this mod cause the car to report the outside temperature being warmer than it really is?
Yes, thats exactly what the mod does. When its -10C for example, it tricks the car into thinking its warmer than that outside. If you bought the version with the manual switch, turning the switch 'off' will put it to the normal state and the outside temp will be correct.

If you bought one of the 'newer' ones I think it auto switches, so above a certain temp the value will be correct...far as I know anyway...

·
Registered
14 Posts
  • 1k ohms 119°
  • 2.2k ohms 90°
  • 4.7k ohms 60°
  • 10k ohms 32°
  • 15k ohms 19°
  • 22k ohms 6°
Dave
Was this in relation to a Gen 1 or Gen 2 volt, or are they both the same?

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Any tips on wrapping resistor legs around the pins in the temp sensor?
Find a suitably sized tube and cut two slots in the end that slip over the resistor wire to wind the wire around the leg. Or wrap the wire around a toothpick and push the coil down on the pin. You want it tightly wrapped so the wire is always in contact with the pin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any tips on wrapping resistor legs around the pins in the temp sensor?
Find a suitably sized tube and cut two slots in the end that slip over the resistor wire to wind the wire around the leg. Or wrap the wire around a toothpick and push the coil down on the pin. You want it tightly wrapped so the wire is always in contact with the pin.
Thanks I think I got it.
Will test soon.
Got a little annoyed with ERDTT today.
Was about 16F leaving work. Cabin was already comfortable after preconditioning and engine ran up untill I hit the highway then shut off. Came back on like 3 times including about a block from my driveway.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Thanks I think I got it.
Will test soon.
Got a little annoyed with ERDTT today.
Was about 16F leaving work. Cabin was already comfortable after preconditioning and engine ran up untill I hit the highway then shut off. Came back on like 3 times including about a block from my driveway.
Yes, that's why I finally replaced the outside air temp sensor with one modified with a resistor. I usually have plenty of battery and no need for the ICE to fire up. I actually forgot to remove my modified sensor last spring. So, good news, I did not have to re-install last weekend in prep for the winter that arrived here today. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts