GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Australia isn't known for being cold, although like many countries, has its cold parts, (mountains, Tasmania), and we have weather that varies like anyone.

After 3 years of ownership, and as a bit of a Volt geek evangelist, I had thought that I'd never see the engine run due to temperature message.
I'd left it in the standard mode thinking that it wouldn't likely activate, and if it did, I'd feel cold and enjoy it.
So surprise hit me with a cold snap last week, and it worked. I paid attention as it was a new experience.
1.3 degrees Celsius, (I think about 34 Fahrenheit), and although I felt cold, it wasn't bothering me as I was physically active at the time.
What bothered me is that once it activated, I didn't seem to have any choice.
I selected [configure] etc. and switched it to the very low setting, and noted that it continued to cycle as before.

Those of you that are familiar might explain?
Should I not worry about it?
Could I have cycled the power to encourage it to adjust?

It seemed to me to use about a third of the fuel it might have used if I'd activated CS.

Likely it'll be a rarity.

Somewhat spoiled in Australia, we've got good weather, good beaches, happy-go-lucky attitudes, but a crappy government and poor support from GM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As far as I know in ERDTT mode the engine just idles to produce heat (something ICE are very good at) without providing much, if any extra charge so it will not use much fuel compared to CS mode, as you noted.

I havent needed ERDTT mode yet myself but I assume it probably needed to be power cycled in your case to stop it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My guess is you should have powered the vehicle off aft you Configured it in order to reset the parameter. Then powdered back up and see if it made difference. Either way the rarity for you to experience it is so remote I wouldn’t let bother you. It’s not like you’re living in a climate where it would occur many days in a row.

General rant: For the life of me I don’t know why this bothers some people. Get over it! I prefer being warm when it’s 15F or less in the vehicle. I’ve noticed this is more bone chilling cold in the interior than a traditional ICE car when you first power it up. Don’t wuite know why that is assuming ambient temperatures are equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yes, the setting only takes effect after restarting the car, so you can't switch back and forth while driving.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
As far as I know in ERDTT mode the engine just idles to produce heat (something ICE are very good at) without providing much, if any extra charge so it will not use much fuel compared to CS mode, as you noted.

I havent needed ERDTT mode yet myself but I assume it probably needed to be power cycled in your case to stop it.
Depends on the model year. 2011 and 2012 run the ICE like normal: clocks as gas miles, RPM varies with load, will kick into powersplit if appropriate.

But yes, config changes for ERDTT take effect the next time the vehicle is started.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your responses.
It doesn't bother me, and I do like the heat of the ICE, especially considering how little it used.
I was curious, as I hadn't seen it before, and it will certainly be rare for me.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
General rant: For the life of me I don’t know why this bothers some people. Get over it! I prefer being warm when it’s 15F or less in the vehicle. I’ve noticed this is more bone chilling cold in the interior than a traditional ICE car when you first power it up. Don’t wuite know why that is assuming ambient temperatures are equal.
Have your car toasty warm and preheated from the wall, then unplug and have your engine start and provide you zero heat while you drive 5 minutes to the grocery store.
Have it start up again on your return trip home a few minutes later, cabin still warm, wasting more gas and providing no heat.
Repeat endlessly day after day, year after year - wasting fuel ($), polluting the air, and putting wear on the engine by doing cold starts when not necessary. Still not understand why that annoys people?
There is zero logical reason to not simply have an 'off' setting for times you don't want it.
If you like it all the time, go right ahead, crank it up.
But to not allow it to be turned off when not needed is simply ridiculous.
And to berate others over wanting something this simple is even more ridiculous.
Other people have different views than you - get over it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts