GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving my wife’s 2012 this evening, and the temperature was hovering right at 15F for most of my 15 minute drive. Near the end, temp dipped to 14F and to my surprise, no ERDTT. Went to 13F, and still no ERDTT or warnings etc.

On my return trip, ERDTT did run.

Now on 2011-2012 Volts, ERDTT acts more like hold mode, unlike later models, in that the engine provides all the motive power. These two model years also have the ability to “game” the mode more by increasing climate temp and decreasing the fan speed, keeping the coolant warmer for longer and delaying the next engine cycle.

That all being said, I wonder if the nature of having the temp dip below 15F at the END of my trip somehow let the coolant be warm enough to prevent the engine from running? I’ve always known the mode to behave in that the engine always starts when temp goes below 15F and then after that cycles based on coolant temp (for 2011-2012). Maybe that first engine start is based a bit on coolant temp too after all?

It’s a bummer that coolant temp isn’t used all the time to determine engine runs. People should be able to precondition a Volt at -20F while plugged in, and if done long enough, result in hot coolant temps that don’t need the engine. But that’s not how they coded it. Anyways, I digress.

Maybe a small Christmas miracle, an OTA update, or just a fluke? ;)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Interesting, mine didnt run at all this morning either, -4 F. I thought it was strange. This afternoon at the same temp the engine ran almost continuously (like 60% of the time).

I interrupted a pre heat cycle when I left this morning, figured that was part of it.

·
Administrator
20,200 Posts
I'm saying it was Santa and don't count on it next year.

By the way, after posting about it and creating the ERDTT defeat FAQ, I finally added a cheap resistor to my air sensor as an experiment. I have left my car outside all day to cold soak it. Currently it's 1°F/-17°C outside. Started up the car and the dash reads 40°F/4.4°C. And no ERDTT.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Driving my wife’s 2012 this evening, and the temperature was hovering right at 15F for most of my 15 minute drive. Near the end, temp dipped to 14F and to my surprise, no ERDTT. Went to 13F, and still no ERDTT or warnings etc.

This seems strange to me. My 2012 trips ERDTT at a non-negotiable -5C, or 25F.

·
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This seems strange to me. My 2012 trips ERDTT at a non-negotiable -5C, or 25F.
That’s how the 2011’s operate too, but some late model year 2012’s like my wife’s do have the two different set points like the 2013’s and beyond.

·
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe a small Christmas miracle, an OTA update, or just a fluke?
Fluke Eric since there are no such things as miracles!

BTW: Don't believe 2017 Gen2 Volts or older could RX OTA updates while missing this module: OTA programming updates for 2018 Volt & 2017 Bolt via K56 'gateway' module?
Aww come on Rich, Gotta at least leave the possibility for miracles to exist open!

Way back with my 2011 GM had asked me to participate in a beta test of OTA updates but then I was told that it rolled out to the fleet already and no testing was needed. This was direct from Mickey Bly at the time.

It’s been my understanding that they have some limited OTA capability and use it for stuff that doesn’t affect any user experience from a “need to change the owners manual” standpoint.

But beyond what I stated I have nothing to prove this is the case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes mine are too but I took the air temp sensor out of the hole and put insulation around it plugged the hole and left it in the compartment area that it’s in . When I left my heated garage it said 48 degrees on the display and it took 45 minites for it to get down to 25 where it starts the gasoline engine it was 5 below zero out side !

·
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Christmas Easter Egg that GM hid.

See? Big ol'GM can have a sense of humor, just like brand T !!
Haha! :)

Did anyone ever find out what the recent "Easter egg within an easter egg" was in the "Ho Ho Ho" easter egg Musk referred to?

·
Registered
328 Posts
2012 with about 38K on odo. I've had some cold temp issues with the ICE not starting. started happening 2-3 weeks ago when temps were 24 degrees and I got a warning message on DIC that the battery was cold and needed to be plugged in. Message appeared 2x during my 3 mile drive home. when home I popped hood and ICE ran. Put car in garage, closed hood, it was still running. I shut it off and restarted and no ICE. Next day temps between 12 and 14, no ICE. again, popped hood and ICE ran, switched to watch Power Flow on dash and saw no power from ICE to battery. Next coupe days seemingly no issue as it had warmed some outside. Week going in to Christmas with temps down, no ERDTT happening but did get the check engine (engine icon on DIC). Called dealer and made an appointment and by the time I got it in the light had cycled off, dealer called me and advised that 4-5 modules needed software update, out of warranty so I gave ok, cost was about $360. When I picked it up the service writer had called GM technical and had been advised based on stored codes that updates were needed and SHOULD solve the issues. I did notice that Mountain mode (I was using it to be sure that I was getting any charge from ICE so I didn't get stranded altogether) didn't seem to start ICE until there was 10 miles of battery left, previously when ever I put it in Mountain, the ICE would start.
Had check engine light come on again and due to timing and needing to use car I cycled through it again but took it out to have them do and OBD on it and it showed stored codes from prior. I told the writer when the light came on again I'd come right there so they could scan it. Well, that happened last Friday Dec 29th. Five years and one day from purchase. I don't remember what the code was but was told they'd need the car, I deferred appointment until today because I didn't want to tie the car up all weekend, just in case.
Light was still lighting this morning prior to dropping vehicle off.
Dealer called me at about 3PM this afternoon to update me that tech had called GM Technical again and technical has authorized/advised replacing the hybrid battery. He felt that "SHOULD" solve the problem. Fortunately it's warranty. battery due at dealer tomorrow, I may have vehicle back tomorrow night.
I will follow up with result. I am hoping that this does solve it, while it is a great car, it may be time to move on. I gave up an HHR for the Volt and have missed the room ever since.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
2012 with about 38K on odo...I will follow up with result. I am hoping that this does solve it, while it is a great car, it may be time to move on. I gave up an HHR for the Volt and have missed the room ever since.
Cheer up. You may get the 2015 battery size for an additional few miles of EV range out of the deal.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Cheer up. You may get the 2015 battery size for an additional few miles of EV range out of the deal.
Got the car back today, the advisor had read and gave me the wrong info. They replaced the Drive Motor Battery Charger and flushed and replaced the cooling system.
On the way back to office I got the message "Battery too cold, plug in to warm" that is the third time I've seen that since Thanksgiving, I'm thinking there is still something else wrong here.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
....On the way back to office I got the message "Battery too cold, plug in to warm" that is the third time I've seen that since Thanksgiving, I'm thinking there is still something else wrong here.
Definitely a do over. When the car is powered up TMS should be keeping the battery temp happy.

Ask them to call in some talent from the Mothership instead of going on a fishing expedition and throwing more parts at it, hopefully not on your dime.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Definitely a do over. When the car is powered up TMS should be keeping the battery temp happy.

Ask them to call in some talent from the Mothership instead of going on a fishing expedition and throwing more parts at it, hopefully not on your dime.
Called dealer back and after service writer's convo with the Volt tech called me back and send me a service bulletin; ID#3713473 PIP4890A bulletin relates to vehicle not starting, not message showing up while driving.

·
Registered
328 Posts

Last visit was powertrain warranty as is the following, since it is warranty they gave me a loaner.
Dealer has had car since last friday 1/5/18. CEL came back on Thursday night and I drove it out Friday morning. Got a loaner (brand new Equinox LT, I was firt to get it..14 miles on it..love the new car smell) from them on Monday. Was told replacing 1 section of the battery and some sensor that is on top of it that has to do with the heating and cooling of the battery. Again was told this was after tech spoke to Volt engineer/tech (or whatever title they told me) from factory. Parts were due in to dealer 1/9 in AM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts