GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
23,122 Posts
Thursday the 8th? From Chevy Canada: "this Tweet to be the first to see the reveal on September 8, 2022"
It just links to a 3 month old teaser video:

The upcoming Detroit Auto Show also has a reveal of an unnamed car scheduled for Wednesday, September 14th, the official NAIAS media day. No one know whether that car will be an EV or ICE.

·
Registered
OpenEVSE home charger, 2013 Volt base, added tow hitch, K&N filters, 3d printed interior mods, etc
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking like this is going to be a very competitive value, depending on the MSRP of the upper trims, AWD price bump, etc. Most of the specs look reasonable, towing capability looks a little low, but I couldn't find interior space or ground clearance figures. No reserve button yet either.

The only question is how quickly GM can ramp production.......

·
Registered
154 Posts
way to go gm
nice to see an ev, that even i would drive around, without wearing sunglass :)
just reminds me of how lucky i am, driving around in a volt while all this stuff is coming out
some of you on this forum would have a different view of the volt, im sure
with 9000 km left on my battery warranty, its going to be close
but now im really confused , do i get the equinox, blazer or silverado
the bolt or hummer just doesnt do it for me, or the tesla, ass end looks funny to me
gm keep bring it on

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,339 Posts
Most of the specs look reasonable, towing capability looks a little low, but I couldn't find interior space or ground clearance figures.
There's not much reason to think space or ground clearance will change much from other Equinoxes. They're not generally used as offroaders, nor are they typically used to tow much. "But what if I want to" people buy other vehicles and then generally don't tow with them either. (I saw a stat saying that 75% of full-size pickup trucks tow anything "1 or fewer times per year", which I interpret as "basically never". If they're using the capacity that little, the number of less capable vehicles that tow anything is probably even fewer. And before anyone starts typing, "your anecdote isn't data".)

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's not much reason to think space or ground clearance will change much from other Equinoxes. They're not generally used as offroaders, nor are they typically used to tow much. "But what if I want to" people buy other vehicles and then generally don't tow with them either. (I saw a stat saying that 75% of full-size pickup trucks tow anything "1 or fewer times per year", which I interpret as "basically never". If they're using the capacity that little, the number of less capable vehicles that tow anything is probably even fewer. And before anyone starts typing, "your anecdote isn't data".)
anecdote
a short narrative or to characterize by delineating a specific quirk or trait.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
At this point in time most of the anti-EV arguments fall into this category.

Reactions: hellsop

·
Registered
OpenEVSE home charger, 2013 Volt base, added tow hitch, K&N filters, 3d printed interior mods, etc
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's not much reason to think space or ground clearance will change much from other Equinoxes
57 cu ft with 2nd row folded, 1 inch lower ground clearance than Infernal Equinox, according to random tidbits in various press coverage today.

Tis true that most people don't do even soft roading, let alone off roading, nor towing. I am very much the exception to this, living out in the middle of nowhere Colorado. Why I'm paying attention to that for my particular case, but agreed that it won't actually affect most people.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Reading through the specs on the Equinox EV I find a major flaw that will keep families that do road trips from buying this vehicle. 10 minutes of DCFC charging provides 70 miles of range. On the interstate system this means you'd be stopping for 10 minutes every hour - this is a non-starter. Kia/Hyundai EVs are now able to charge 200 miles in 18 minutes - or a 20 minute stop every three hours or so. This is palatable when travelling with children; 10 minutes every hour is not.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Reading through the specs on the Equinox EV I find a major flaw that will keep families that do road trips from buying this vehicle. 10 minutes of DCFC charging provides 70 miles of range. On the interstate system this means you'd be stopping for 10 minutes every hour - this is a non-starter. Kia/Hyundai EVs are now able to charge 200 miles in 18 minutes - or a 20 minute stop every three hours or so. This is palatable when travelling with children; 10 minutes every hour is not.
What is the quoted full battery range?

·
Administrator
23,122 Posts
Full range:
The base model 1LT, which starts at around $30,000, will come standard with front-wheel drive with an estimated EPA rated range of 250 to 300 miles. Upgrading to an all-wheel drive format will drop the range down to 280 miles.

There will be two more LT trims, 2LT and 3LT, as well as two of the higher-spec RS variants, 2RS and 3RS, with a darker interior and more tech inside. Each version will also have the option to upgrade to AWD.

Anecdote:
I heard that EV's cost twice as much (June's average new car sale was $44k) and they only get 38 mpg. "We need to get rid of that stuff".

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Anecdote:
I heard that EV's cost twice as much (June's average new car sale was $44k) and they only get 38 mpg. "We need to get rid of that stuff".
The worst performing EV in this regards is the Rivian R1S, which gets 79 MPGe according to the EPA. And yes, the anti-EV crowd has filled social media with flat out lies about EVs.

·
Administrator
23,122 Posts
Mary Barra reveals the Equinox EV

·
Administrator
23,122 Posts
Touring the GM Design Center and how the design work ia being done on the Equinox EV

Reactions: scottf200

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
The 2024 Chevy Equinox EV Is GM's New Affordable Long Range EV CUV
Sep 14, 2022
With around 250-300 miles of range, your choice of FWD or AWD, and likely the $7500 federal tax credit,
the Equinox EV might be the most important EV coming to America in 2023. Yep, 2023, that's the only bummer.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Sep 14, 2022
With around 250-300 miles of range, your choice of FWD or AWD, and likely the $7500 federal tax credit,
the Equinox EV might be the most important EV coming to America in 2023. Yep, 2023, that's the only bummer.
You do realize that 2023 is less than four months away. I suspect these will start as MY2024 vehicles, which means next summer is when they'll start being available.

·
Administrator
23,122 Posts
You do realize that 2023 is less than four months away. I suspect these will start as MY2024 vehicles, which means next summer is when they'll start being available.
Yes, order in summer 2023 for December delivery?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Touring the GM Design Center and how the design work ia being done on the Equinox EV

It has been many many years since I worked at the Tech Center (at the building next to the Design Dome and at another across 12 Mile road where they built the various prototypes (they can fabricate everything in the vehicle except electronics, and glass as well as do all the tool and die and clay work).

As much as VR has sped up the process from a validate perspective (it can help eliminate bad function/design decisions before time is wasted in prototyping), the clay model/wind tunnel hasn't changed much in 30 years. I've been in the Wind Tunnel. Back in those days, they were actually working with Lance Armstrong on bicycle and wheel design as well as his form. Of course a bit of doping undid all the PR they gained from that, but lots of stuff happens.

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
Sep 14, 2022
<snip>
"brother to the Equinox"

Title: 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV First Look | Chevy's Mid-Sized EV Alternative
Sep 15, 2022 Looking for something a bit bigger than a Model Y or Ioniq 5? There will be a Blazer for that soon. GM's EV push seems to be finally happening (well, in 2023 if the targets are correct) with a 3-way starting strategy with the "compact" Equinox EV, the mid-sized Blazer and of course the Silverado EV. Versus the Equinox, the Blazer will be roomier, faster, and a bit more luxurious, just as you expect. If you're looking for an EV alternative to a Edge, Outback, or perhaps even a Grand Cherokee, there'll be a Blazer EV for that soon.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts