GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At just over 1,000 miles and one month of ownership, my EPB has a single, moderately loud "clunking" sound at the very end of the engagement travel. The sound seems to be emanating from the rear of the car. Disengagement is noiseless except for the motor sound. The EPB seems to function normally and holds the car well by itself on moderately steep slopes. The EPB light on the display operates as expected. I had my car in to the dealer yesterday and they did an alignment procedure on the EPB that was supplied to them by GM Tech Support. When I picked up my Volt, the "clunking" sound was gone and continued to be gone for the rest of the day and evening. This morning the "clunking" sound is back. My dealer is contacting GM again for more info. Has anyone had this issue and, if so, what was the resolution? Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
No clunking here. And I even use in on my very inclined driveway.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Interesting, mine does the same thing. Not terribly loud, and not all the time. I figured it's just normal. Anyone know how this brake works?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Electric Parking Brake Clunking Sound

Thanks for all the replies. YES, EPB means ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE. My Volt does this "clunking" even in my garage which has a level concrete floor.
BILL

·
Registered
334 Posts
No clunking on my electric parking brake, but I do remember another person here had the same problem and it was fixed by their dealer. Hopefully GM Tech Support and your dealer can figure out how to keep it from clunking.

·
Super Moderator
6,391 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Electric Parking Brake Clunking Sound

Interesting, mine does the same thing. Not terribly loud, and not all the time. I figured it's just normal. Anyone know how this brake works?
An electric motor puts tension on mechanical cables that pull on the rear brake calipers. From other reading it is said that this system, although more complex than a simple handle-operated parking brake, is considerably more reliable. Apparently the motor pulls on the cables until a certain force is achieved. The old-fashioned handle-operated parking brake frequently is not adjusted properly and may not work when needed.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have never used ours except on the first day after delivery. I guess us flatlanders just never think about parking brakes.:)

3,608 Posts
Sorry to hear that the clunking came back. I see you have been in contact with our Volt Advisor Team as well about the issue. We are monitoring the case for you will continue to follow up until this gets resolved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine started the clunk too. Over a period of four days in the dealer's shop, we went from adjustments (with a missing page in the procedure book) producing a smoking brake shoe to finally replacing the EPB cables. It is fixed now, with about a week's driving on it so far. I use the parking brake every time I park the car. I hope you benefit from my travails, as the Volt Team should have the fix in.
John

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
EPB "Clunks" on Egagement

Sorry to hear that the clunking came back. I see you have been in contact with our Volt Advisor Team as well about the issue. We are monitoring the case for you will continue to follow up until this gets resolved.
Trevor,
Thanks for the info. The Volt Advisor concept is really outstanding. My Volt Advisor, Melissa, has been very attentive to my concerns and I feel that I now have a good connection between my local dealership, the Volt Advisor Group, and myself. It sounds like my problem has occurred previously with other owners and has been satisfactorily resolved. It would appear that all that is needed now is for the proper information to flow to my dealer's service department. Thanks again for being here on this forum!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine started the clunk too. Over a period of four days in the dealer's shop, we went from adjustments (with a missing page in the procedure book) producing a smoking brake shoe to finally replacing the EPB cables. It is fixed now, with about a week's driving on it so far. I use the parking brake every time I park the car. I hope you benefit from my travails, as the Volt Team should have the fix in.
John
John, THANKS! for the info. I also use the EPB all the time as I live in an area with lots of hills. Thanks for sharing your experience. BILL

3,608 Posts
@ Bill,

Not a problem, I am happy to be here and help in any way possible. Thanks for the kind words as well, I will be sure they are passed along to Melissa and the rest of our team!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
J LeRoy, I need more info on your EPB "Clunk" fix

John
Hi John,
I sent you a private message yesterday asking for more info about who your dealer is and details on what they did to fix your EPB clunking problem but haven't received a response yet. I have been in contact with the Volt Advisor Team and they'd like to follow up on this but they need to know which dealer did the work. My e-mail address is on file here so you can send any info you would be willing to share through the Forum messaging facility. Your help will be greatly appreciated. THANKS! BILL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fix in the works

Hi John,
I sent you a private message yesterday asking for more info about who your dealer is and details on what they did to fix your EPB clunking problem but haven't received a response yet. I have been in contact with the Volt Advisor Team and they'd like to follow up on this but they need to know which dealer did the work. My e-mail address is on file here so you can send any info you would be willing to share through the Forum messaging facility. Your help will be greatly appreciated. THANKS! BILL
John, please disregard my last. The Volt Advisor system seems to really work. My Volt Advisor, Melissa, conferred with Trevor (monitors this Forum) and they were able to track down the history of fixes for my problem and worked with the GM TAC Group to propose a solution. Parts are on the way to my dealer. I'll keep everyone posted about the results. Any new high technology product such as the Volt is bound to have some problems. How the problems are handled really distinguishes a good company from the rest. BILL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
EPB Clunking Sound Status

John, please disregard my last. The Volt Advisor system seems to really work. My Volt Advisor, Melissa, conferred with Trevor (monitors this Forum) and they were able to track down the history of fixes for my problem and worked with the GM TAC Group to propose a solution. Parts are on the way to my dealer. I'll keep everyone posted about the results. Any new high technology product such as the Volt is bound to have some problems. How the problems are handled really distinguishes a good company from the rest. BILL
While waiting for parts to come in to replace my EPB cables, the "clunking" sound totally disappeared. It has been flawless for well over a week and I use the EPB every time I park my Volt. The parts did come in to my dealer and I had a service appointment scheduled for yesterday, 12/29/2011, but, upon consultation with the dealer service techs, I elected to give things another couple of weeks for evaluation. They have agreed to hold onto the parts until then. I'm just unwilling to force a warranty repair of something that is not malfunctioning at this point and run the risk of unintended consequences.

My best guess, after crawling under the car and looking at the service drawings, is that one of the swaged cable-end fittings had a rough spot on it causing it to grab and then release suddenly at the end of the engagement cycle. With continued usage, the rough spot got worn smooth and now there's no "clunking." Just a guess.

Stay tuned :)) BILL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have had the same clunking/thunking noise at end of EPB engagement consistently for 3-4 weeks. No luck resolving today at dealership. Will try again next week when I'm back in again after a new antennae base arrives as I've also lost am and fm reception.

Can anyone send more info or links to help my Volt Service Tech troubleshoot?

Otherwise...LOVE OUR VOLT

1 - 20 of 31 Posts