GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
20,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer Reports' findings that two Ford hybrids don't have the 47/47/47 fuel economy they claim has aroused interest from the Environmental Protection Agency, which now plans a review.

In CR's testing, Fusion Hybrid got 35 mpg in the city, 41 on the highway and 39 mpg overall in 2,000 miles of driving. C-Max Hybrid got 35 mpg in the city, 38 on the highway and 37 mpg overall.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-06/ford-hybrids-fall-short-of-mpg-promises-magazine-says.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveon/2012/12/08/epa-ford-fusion-cmax-hybrids-consumer-reports/1756237/

I wonder if/how this affects the Ford EV versions?

GM took the conservative approach with the Volt, delighting most of its owners with actual MPG at or above the EPA numbers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is a discrepency worth investigating, but may be less significant than people realize. People think it is like claiming 27 but getting 18 but it's actually more like claiming 27 and getting 24, *which happens all the time*. This is no more of an "inflated" mileage claim than usual.

MPG become even less intuitive in the higher numbers that MPGe gets into, not even including the voodoo that the 'e' brings. Consumers need a new metric for knowing how much it is going into cost them to drive.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The mileage you get depends on the 3 "Ts". I hope Ford is exonerated and CR gets a swift kick in the ass. Does that make me a bad person?

·
Registered
208 Posts
A friend told me he purchased a C-Max, and I asked him what kind of mileage he was getting. I mentioned the reports from CR. He said that for the first tank of gas he was getting about 42-43 mpg, but since then he's been getting 47 mpg exactly. As they say, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Maybe Ford gamed the EPA testers with ringers, or simply that EPA testing procedures have become irrelevant to real world driving experience..... I lean towards the latter. Which brings up an interesting question - could Ford sue the EPA for any damage to its image from EPA's incompetency?

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
A friend told me he purchased a C-Max, and I asked him what kind of mileage he was getting. I mentioned the reports from CR. He said that for the first tank of gas he was getting about 42-43 mpg, but since then he's been getting 47 mpg exactly. As they say, YMMV.
It should improve. Not only break-in, but the CMax learns your driving routes and adjusts to it.

When the test becomes important people work to the test and I think that's all that happened. Both cars are heavy, which means that in city driving inefficient drivers will be hit hard and hypermilers who avoid braking will be smiling. The CMax has high cdA so you won't get the EPA mileage if you do a lot of Interstate speed driving, which is above the EPA highway test test speed in most cases. I expect Fusion drivers will do better.

What's really great, of course, is that the discussion is now about people disappointed that their fuel economy is in the low 40s.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
It can vary a lot even in a Volt.

On my recent long drive from PA to Rochester NY - The first leg of the trip started with a 35-mile drive at about 40-50 mph and the Volt showed 49.7mpg CS-mode (had to start the trip with no charge and warm engine...) Then after 730 total miles, mostly hilly highway driving and 1/2 in the cold rain, overall mpg was 39.2mpg when it was all over. Did the whole trip except last 15 miles in Mountain Mode.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Has doctor Dennis weighed in on this, with his C-Max?

These EPA results will be extremely interesting. Some of Ford's future fortunes may depend on them.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
... or perhaps they should sue Consumer Reports if the EPA verifies Ford's claims.
Now you are talking, except CR would then bad mouth every Ford they test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts