GM Volt Forum banner

Are you enjoying the quiet ride of your EV?

• Yes

Votes: 37 92.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.5%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At some point in my EV driving experience I decided to turn off the phone, radio, fans, anything that makes sounds ... and see what it was like to ride in almost virtual silence. After my first experience with this I decided I actually liked it. I have been doing this in the spring and the fall when the temperatures don't require the A/C or cab heater to run. I hear sounds I never noticed before in a car, and I even hear the sounds of nearby cars. But mostly I have come to appreciate and enjoy the quiet ride. I have wondered if there are any others out there that have noticed the same thing, and are perhaps enjoying the same experience?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I've done/do that sometimes. Sometimes also in the TR7 just to listen to the stock resonator, Magnaflow muffler/Thrush muffled exhaust tips.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's good to get a baseline quiet. Then, you know when something's not quite right and turn off all the stuff to ID it.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Ah, the gentle rush of the wind.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
My Volt is getting louder as the Michelins wear down. One more year on them and then I think I'll be able to justify replacing those four pieces of junk with decent tires.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
It's good to get a baseline quiet. Then, you know when something's not quite right and turn off all the stuff to ID it.
This is so true.

·
Registered
897 Posts
My Volt is getting louder as the Michelins wear down. One more year on them and then I think I'll be able to justify replacing those four pieces of junk with decent tires.
I agree, and can't wait to replace them too. Mine are still pretty new and quiet though.

The OE LRR Goodyears on my Cruze Eco were pretty bad, and I ditched them after a couple years. I was expecting these Michelins to be better, but it may be a toss up.

I've turned off everything too now and then to enjoy the quiet. Very nice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I agree, and can't wait to replace them too. Mine are still pretty new and quiet though.

The OE LRR Goodyears on my Cruze Eco were pretty bad, and I ditched them after a couple years. I was expecting these Michelins to be better, but it may be a toss up.

I've turned off everything too now and then to enjoy the quiet. Very nice.

The OEM tires on the Cruze ECO didn't hydroplane like these Michelins do. My wife drove my Volt today and wasn't sure it was even running.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Makes one realize how obnoxiously LOUD so many of those Pick-ups, Mustangs and Harley's are. And they all seem to leave for work at 4:30 in the morning. Freak'in ridiculous to have a vehicle that makes that much noise.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Makes one realize how obnoxiously LOUD so many of those Pick-ups, Mustangs and Harley's are. And they all seem to leave for work at 4:30 in the morning. Freak'in ridiculous to have a vehicle that makes that much noise.
And it's not enough for them so they keep stomping on it. What is worse around here is the crappy dump trucks with no mufflers and exhaust brakes. You can hear them over a mile away at times.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've always been a drag racer, working on cars, tweaking, putting on aftermarket exhausts, and so on. It's crazy the paradigm shift that has occurred since I got the Volt. Just about any exhaust noise makes me cringe now. Performance exhaust systems, even those that are stock, give me an instant headache and I cringe at the "drone".

I also think you feel the acceleration more when it's silent because you don't have all the vibration and noise. I took off quickly today and my friend comments, "Damn, that's some serious torque". When we got home, he called me because he couldn't find his keys. I told him I'd look in the passenger seat and didn't see anything but found them between the center console and seat. I guess when I took off like that, it pulled his fob out of his pocket. Made me laugh. :)

Mike

·
Registered
203 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority here, as I'm one of the 3 (so far) that voted no...
Being a long time Lexus driver, the LS430 was about as silent a car that was ever made. The engine is completely still when idling and the car completely isolated the driver from road noise and traffic noise. There were many times when I first bought the car that I would stop at the light and look down at the gauges to make sure the car was still running... I just wasn't used to such a quiet car.

The Volt is a quiet car in it's own right. Very quiet on smooth city streets, which are a rarity here in Milwaukee... On the freeway (where I do about 90% of my commute) there's a fair amount of tire noise and road noise to deal with. Something that the Lexus didn't blink an eye at..

I understand there are trade-offs when going from a gas guzzling boat like the LS down to the Volt, and I'm more than happy to deal with those idiosyncrasies for the fuel savings I'm getting...

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority here, as I'm one of the 3 (so far) that voted no...
Being a long time Lexus driver, the LS430 was about as silent a car that was ever made. The engine is completely still when idling and the car completely isolated the driver from road noise and traffic noise. There were many times when I first bought the car that I would stop at the light and look down at the gauges to make sure the car was still running... I just wasn't used to such a quiet car.

The Volt is a quiet car in it's own right. Very quiet on smooth city streets, which are a rarity here in Milwaukee... On the freeway (where I do about 90% of my commute) there's a fair amount of tire noise and road noise to deal with. Something that the Lexus didn't blink an eye at..

I understand there are trade-offs when going from a gas guzzling boat like the LS down to the Volt, and I'm more than happy to deal with those idiosyncrasies for the fuel savings I'm getting...
The road noises are the crappy Michelins on the Volt. Your LS430 had far better and quieter touring tires on it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Love the quiet car - hate the noisy OEM Goodyear Assurance tires. My Volvo with Goodyear Eagle GTs had less tire noise - but it may have had better body insulation than the Volt. I created my own version of a Volt Shelf - that seemed to cut down the noise from the rear, but also damped a bit of the sound from the sub.

ICE adds a low rumble that can be annoying.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The Michelins aren't bad, Blizak snow tires are bad.
The Blizzaks aren't bad, the Toyo Proxes tires I put on my Miata are bad..

Seriously, put something like you had on the Lexus, on the Volt, and you may think you got your Lexus back.

Tires can be a huge factor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I enjoy a quiet ride every day, I don’t need a gas engine, I drive a Bolt! Don’t need gas, oil, exhaust pipes, oil changes, or perpetual maintenance items (only 3 maintenance items in the owners manual). Come to the fully electric side guys! The quiet is awesome.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have enjoyed the quiet for over 6 years now. It got considerably quieter when I replaced the OEM tires with good Michelin Premier A/S tires and then it got even quieter when I added a VoltShelf to cover up the back hatch area.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I enjoy a quiet ride every day, I don’t need a gas engine, I drive a Bolt! Don’t need gas, oil, exhaust pipes, oil changes, or perpetual maintenance items (only 3 maintenance items in the owners manual). Come to the fully electric side guys! The quiet is awesome.
I had to look up the 3 main items in the Bolt maintenance manual.

chevy_bolt_maintenance_items.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
First day with my 2013 Volt I sat at a red light — fan and radio off.

Took a video.
Whispered.

It was quieter than my living room.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts