GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I bought my Volt 2 weeks ago and it worked fine until yesterday when the engine warning came on and now it seems that engine does not start anymore. Anything I can do myself or any idea what is wrong?

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
get the codes from onstar or pep-boys
and try opening the hood when the car is parked and running and see if engine runs.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Going to need a lot more information. Not sure what the engine warning is, but mountain mode won't start the engine if battery is above about 40% charged. Any messages on the DIC screen? What year is the car? Like cord says, have the car "On" and open the hood, does the engine start then?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Did you put gas in the tank?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I did not know the battery must be under 40%. Now the engine started when it went under 40. But there is still that engine warning light and there are 0 messages in the DIC screen. The car is from 2013. I have put new gas in the tank but only used one and a half liter of it. Havent talked to dealer yet because it is weekend. But this dealer is no expert on Volt.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
There could well be a code that could be read with an OBD2 reader and it could be as simple as needing a new gas cap. I wold take Cord's suggestion above and have the code read or if you have Onstar push the button and they can tell you what the code is. The car runs and charges okay otherwise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes thank you, i must read the code in one way or other. I tell more when it is done. The car runs perfect and charges so maybe no need to worry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This morning the warning light had turned off by itself and the car was working fine so no need to read codes. I guess that Onstar is something that works only in the USA. I live in Finland, we don’t have many Volts here around. Anyway we can consider my problem solved for this time, thank you for your help everybody!

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Some codes will clear after a few re-starts and Sly Bob comment about the fule cap is one that bit me.

Some fule caps say don't turn past one click other say do a few clicks. ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts