GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Volt is dead yet again... for the 3rd time in a month. When electric power exhausted and running on fuel, I keep getting error message "No Propulsion Power" - "Engine Stop - get service in one day" and then the car just dies within a few miles. Care was at service for a week. Was told all was fixed. Within 3 days I was again stuck on the side of the road with same issue. Apparently, they have no clue what the issue is as they just keep saying it is a programming issue. The VOLT was reprogrammed - but did not alleviate the issue. I should also note that I use to get over 40 miles (42/43) on a full charge and now I get 30 or 31 miles. Anyone else have these issues?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The reduction in the number of miles you get is most likely due to environment factors but for the rest, you should escalate to GM. Being a new platform, many dealers don't have the required knowledge to debug issues. A knowledgeable GM engineer may be able to pinpoint the issue. Have you contacted your Volt advisor? If not, do so .. you can use OnStar to contact them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TELVEER. I have been in constant contact with ONSTAR. They have been ZERO help. Keep telling me to "drive" to my dealer - despite the fact that I tell them I am stuck and the car wont move! Then they want to tow me to a dealer near where I am. I asked to go to my local dealer, but they refuse. I called up my local dealer and they now will send a tow truck. The mileage issue is another problem. I don't think the environment is the issue as it is quite warm today. Anyways - I am not happy that a $43k car is having this issue with the engine and it hasn't been solved. To tell you the truth - I don't think they even know what the issue is as they just keep saying they will "reprogram" the car. I told them to TEST DRIVE it before giving back to me - which they say they did - BUT THAT WAS A LIE (I know this to be true as the mileage on the car was the same when I dropped off and picked up.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just curious. Can you place car in hold or mountain mode? Does the engine start and run ok? Makes it sound like the eninge/generator is not well. If this is a 2013 or above, can you watch the sources of power/charging on the screen when in hold/mountain mode?

·
Administrator
20,434 Posts
Anyone else have these issues?
No, dcballte, I haven't. Sorry to hear you are though.

What error codes did OnStar tell you were involved?
Were they the same errors codes as the previous time?
What was the exact reprogramming noted on the previous service bulletin?

This sounds like a possible power inverter module issue due to water wicking along a cable. Was your car VIN one of those needing the fix (mine was).

Also, did you get the $7500 tax credit? If so, a minor quibble, but the car was not $43k. It was $43k-$7500= $35,500. Not that the price means it should have a power issue.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
A first post which is more or less a rant won't get you the warmest of receptions, especially when the problem is most uncommon.

For starters, OnStar is always helpful IF you know what to ask for. When your car shows an error message there are always error codes. If you ask OnStar they will give you the codes. Those can be very helpful.

You said the dealer told you it was all fixed. Obviously it wasn't. Why insist on going back to the same dealer? Also, what did the dealer tell you was the problem? FYI the tow to the nearest dealer is the industry standard. The OnStar rep won't be able to change that for you. The Volt advisor perhaps but not the OnStar rep.

I'd suggest the following approach. Use Hold to keep your battery in reserve. If you get the message stop and then switch to the battery. If you can drive then that solves the problem of needing to get a tow and should help identify the issue. If you get the same message when trying to use the battery for propulsion you may still need a tow but that will also be helpful information.

This is not going to be that easy to diagnose because it's unusual.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
GM has provided a group of people, Volt advisors, to help answer your Volt questions and to serve as a liaison between you and your dealer when issues arise. telveer’s reference to OnStar was offered as a method of contacting your Volt advisor. The phone number to reach your Volt advisor is also somewhere in the driver’s manual, and perhaps also on the myvolt.com website. Perhaps the Volt advisor has information indicating a different dealer in your area would have more experience in the problem you are experiencing, or feedback from a GM engineer that the advisor could pass on to your original dealer’s service people.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
My 2013 Volt is dead yet again... for the 3rd time in a month. When electric power exhausted and running on fuel, I keep getting error message "No Propulsion Power" - "Engine Stop - get service in one day" and then the car just dies within a few miles. Care was at service for a week. Was told all was fixed. Within 3 days I was again stuck on the side of the road with same issue. Apparently, they have no clue what the issue is as they just keep saying it is a programming issue. The VOLT was reprogrammed - but did not alleviate the issue. I should also note that I use to get over 40 miles (42/43) on a full charge and now I get 30 or 31 miles. Anyone else have these issues?
One. Onstar should be able to give you codes.
Two. Contact the Volt advisors and get them involved with your dealer as to discovering a solution...are you sure that your dealership has a sharp Volt mechanic?
Three. Miles per charge are related to numerous factors...temperature, speed, climate controls, et cetera.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
range is a lot more than one day of warm or cold weather.
I would focus on the other problems and get them fixed then take a look at the FAQ on range.

3,605 Posts
Good Morning Dcblatte,

I apologize that you are having this concern with your Volt. I would like the opportunity to look into your case. Can you please PM me the Last Eight of your Volt's VIN and the Best Contact for you? Also the EV range is just an estimate, you mentioned that your Volt was "reprogrammed". If your dealership loaded software it may have rest the EV range back to default. If so after a few driving cycles the Volt will display the estimated range based off your driving style.

I look forward to hearing from you,

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

1 - 10 of 10 Posts