GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One quick question - Does the running engine charge the battery when the hood is open? - I have never tested this but would think if one was burning gas for the sake of burning gas, that the traction battery would charge as a byproduct? Be nice to fully charge off engine if one ever ran into a free gas situation, which can happen...!!!

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just tried it on my brand new 17'. When I started it with the hood open the power flow showed the engine charging the battery.

My dealer "lost" the charging cable for my car so to date I have been driving 100% on engine power. :(

Cable is supposed to be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
675 Posts
One quick question - Does the running engine charge the battery when the hood is open? - I have never tested this but would think if one was burning gas for the sake of burning gas, that the traction battery would charge as a byproduct? Be nice to fully charge off engine if one ever ran into a free gas situation, which can happen...!!!
A few weeks ago I recently had my 2017 Volt vehicle inspection and they popped the hood for what seemed like for a good 20 minutes. Yeah, the engine definitely added kwh to the battery even though the charge was mostly charged and well above the 18% "mountain mode" threshold. My Volt registered the next 2.8 miles as "gas miles" so I figure the gas engine added 0.7 kwh of charge to the battery while idling about 0.1 gallons of gas. This was before the cold spell and it was very mild that day in Austin, so 4 miles/kwh is pretty conservative; so probably less than 0.7kwh.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As someone with a lot of experience with included accessories missing, it is 99% likely some other Volt owner got your cable. Once a part is missing (floor mats, cable--anything in the trunk from the factory) it is a cycle of robbing Peter to pay Paul until the dealer finally buys a new part. I once bought the fanciest Chrysler mini van available and was told floor mats, cargo net, etc. were optional and not included (despite being listed on the window sticker). The sales guy said he'd have to order them when I showed him the sticker. I told him, go ahead and order, but right now get one out of THAT car.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
663 Posts
Does this that you could put in a switch to “fool” the car into thinking the hood was up and charge the battery while on hold mode? On a long trip with many city stops ( using battery),it may be useful to be able to charge battery to 100% while on highway sections of the drive ( ready for next city stops)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Yes it does charge the battery. When I went to a Volt meet-and-drive sponsored by GM, they had all the hoods open to charge the batteries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts