GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my Volt 10 days ago, and I figured while waiting for it to be delivered I would read the owners manual. To me it sounds like there are times when the engine will run, while the car is parked. Can this be overridden, if you are going to be parking somewhere that is not vented for an engine running?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I ordered my Volt 10 days ago, and I figured while waiting for it to be delivered I would read the owners manual. To me it sounds like there are times when the engine will run, while the car is parked. Can this be overridden, if you are going to be parking somewhere that is not vented for an engine running?
No, you have to have "started" the car for the fuel maintenance or engine maintenance to start. It doesn't just kick off on it's own at random.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
If the ignition is on (car "started"), the car could start the engine for a variety of reasons including: low temperatures, dead high voltage battery, or opening the hood. It will never start if powered off and parked.

However, the Volt makes no sound if the engine isn't running so it might be easy to forget to turn it off. For this reason they did a recall on Gen 1 to make it harder to leave it on, and I imagine Gen 2 has the features built in, like turning off automatically after a couple hours in park.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Engine won't run if the car is turned off. Even if you forget and leave it on, there's a time-out if there is no driver input after a extended time (90 minutes?)

·
Registered
309 Posts
The feature you are likely inquiring about is Engine Maintenance Mode (EMM), or possibly Fuel Maintenance mode (FMM). This condition only occurs if you don't use the engine at all for an extended time period during your regular driving. If the engine isn't run for over a month (exact period escapes me), the computer will force an engine start during one of your normal drive cycles to either 1) evaporate moisture out of the engine oil (EMM), or 2) burn stale fuel from the gas tank (FMM). FMM will take a year without adding fuel to consider your gas too old to store any longer.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Why should it be? No different than any other vehicle with remote start.
Parked in the garage and connected to EVSE for a remote start to preheat the cabin you want the engine assisted heating to be turned off. In that way it is different than every other with a remote start.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Parked in the garage and connected to EVSE for a remote start to preheat the cabin you want the engine assisted heating to be turned off. In that way it is different than every other with a remote start.
I was wondering the same thing. When colder temperatures return and I have my car parked in the garage plugged into the charger, I'd like to be able to remote start it to preheat without the gas engine turning on. You'd hope the car would have a setting or automatically know not to turn on the gas engine if it's plugged in.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. When colder temperatures return and I have my car parked in the garage plugged into the charger, I'd like to be able to remote start it to preheat without the gas engine turning on. You'd hope the car would have a setting or automatically know not to turn on the gas engine if it's plugged in.
I don't know if you are asking or wondering or commenting, but yes there is a setting to keep it from running. So wonder no more and check the setting in the manual. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't know if you are asking or wondering or commenting, but yes there is a setting to keep it from running. So wonder no more and check the setting in the manual. :)
Well I was wondering and thanks for confirming that capability. I had a look in the manual and found it under vehicle customizations on page 139. Seems the engineers have put a lot of thought into this vehicle.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Well I was wondering and thanks for confirming that capability. I had a look in the manual and found it under vehicle customizations on page 139. Seems the engineers have put a lot of thought into this vehicle.
Understatement...:)

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
The feature you are likely inquiring about is Engine Maintenance Mode (EMM), or possibly Fuel Maintenance mode (FMM). This condition only occurs if you don't use the engine at all for an extended time period during your regular driving. If the engine isn't run for over a month (exact period escapes me), the computer will force an engine start during one of your normal drive cycles to either 1) evaporate moisture out of the engine oil (EMM), or 2) burn stale fuel from the gas tank (FMM). FMM will take a year without adding fuel to consider your gas too old to store any longer.
EMM kicks in after 6 weeks of ICE not running.

FMM seems to be an AVERAGE of a year old for what's in the tank. So you can't forestall it much adding a gallon to 7 gallons that's 11 months old.

·
Registered
751 Posts
So you can't forestall it much adding a gallon to 7 gallons that's 11 months old.
1. Siphon out 5 gallons into a 5 gallon jug.
2. Start the car and drive around a little.
3. Pour the 5 gallons back into the tank.

I'm guessing that this would trick the car into thinking that your fuel is younger. (Not that it would make any sense to do this.)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
1. Siphon out 5 gallons into a 5 gallon jug.
2. Start the car and drive around a little.
3. Pour the 5 gallons back into the tank.

I'm guessing that this would trick the car into thinking that your fuel is younger. (Not that it would make any sense to do this.)
How would you get past the anti-siphone device in the car?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts