GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been discussed before; tried searching without any luck. I have a 2014 volt with about 14k miles. Over the past few days I've noticed that sometimes when I'm trying to maintain a set speed on the highway, the engine will surge/pulse about once a second and keep surging until I either let off the gas or press down the gas pedal strongly and accelerate. This only seems to happen when the ICE is off, and will occur if I'm using the pedal or cruise control. You can feel the car lurching slightly forward each time, and the power indicator will keep cycling between ~18kw to around 50kw. If I use the "hold" drive mode the issue will go away until the ICE turns off.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? I'm planning to bring the car in shortly for the 15k mile service, but it would be great to have more info for them. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Hi AverageJoe- welcome to the forum. I've not heard of this, but there are several sensors or conditions that might cause the car to be doing this, It sounds from your description as though the car is inappropriately changing back and forth between 1 motor and 2 motor mode only when operating off the battery. best to have your local volt technician connect their equipment to see what they can see.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Hi AverageJoe- welcome to the forum. I've not heard of this, but there are several sensors or conditions that might cause the car to be doing this, It sounds from your description as though the car is inappropriately changing back and forth between 1 motor and 2 motor mode only when operating off the battery. best to have your local volt technician connect their equipment to see what they can see.
Agreed. It is probably happening at the same speed every time. You would do well to document that speed for added info when you take it in.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Maybe even take a passenger with you and record some video of the power changes as it happens and any audio that may be able to be picked up or at the very least, describe what is happening as it is happening. The mechanic will then have a good sense of what you see vs. the description verbally stated.

Definitely sounds like an issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts