GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 10 days ago I was driving my 2015 Volt [17,000 miles] in HOLD mode, radio on and AC off, when an error message came up on the dash saying 'engine not available, power reduced - service soon' The yellow engine service light came on, the engine turned off, and I drove home on the batteries. The dealer had the car for two days and could not duplicate the problem despite driving the car for several miles. They cleared the yellow light from the dash and asked me to try to duplicate the error.

I now drive only close enough to home with a battery reserve capable of taking me back. This is my only vehicle and if I am stranded by a duplicate failure, it will cause me a severe inconvenience. I am planning a 1,600 mile round trip next month and I fear that I will be stranded somewhere. My confidence in this vehicle's reliability and the mechanics who worked on it is low and I am considering canceling this trip.

Suggestions?

If a Chevy CSR reads this, please have someone who can escalate this issue contact me as soon as possible to discuss my problem and its options. I want to be assured that the mechanics have thoroughly assessed my issue.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
About 10 days ago I was driving my 2015 Volt [17,000 miles] in HOLD mode, radio on and AC off, when an error message came up on the dash saying 'engine not available, power reduced - service soon' The yellow engine service light came on, the engine turned off, and I drove home on the batteries. The dealer had the car for two days and could not duplicate the problem despite driving the car for several miles. They cleared the yellow light from the dash and asked me to try to duplicate the error.

I now drive only close enough to home with a battery reserve capable of taking me back. This is my only vehicle and if I am stranded by a duplicate failure, it will cause me a severe inconvenience. I am planning a 1,600 mile round trip next month and I fear that I will be stranded somewhere. My confidence in this vehicle's reliability and the mechanics who worked on it is low and I am considering canceling this trip.

Suggestions?

If a Chevy CSR reads this, please have someone who can escalate this issue contact me as soon as possible to discuss my problem and its options. I want to be assured that the mechanics have thoroughly assessed my issue.
Reach out to Chevy Customer Service / A Volt Advisor if you haven't already.

Consider renting a vehicle for this trip.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
The dealer found no trouble codes, yet the CEL illuminated. How strange.....

Although your Volt has an anomaly, not all Volts are bad. I've made two cross-country road trips (8500 miles and 9890 miles) and a number of trips down to Gainesville and back (2200 miles each time) in my 2014, all but the first 40+ miles at the beginning of the trips in Charge Sustaining mode. Volts are generally reliable.

Find another dealer and don't give up on your Volt.

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
A CEL gets set for a reason. Get a Volt Advisor involved to help you with this dealer or to get you taken care of at another. Note: Volt Advisors are not technicians, they are intermediary's on you behalf with a dealer.

Also note the Similar Threads links below.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts