1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
I never make one-way trips in my Volt. Maybe Ford drivers are different. :)

·
Registered
6,664 Posts

·
8,680 Posts
Hmm. So they're giving us different summer and winter numbers - something we haven't done with Voltstats so far (not sure if Mike could do it or not.)

The Volt fleet there is averaging 74% electric, which includes both summer and winter driving. If the Energi cars are averaging 50% overall, doubling the electric range apparently halves the gas usage.

It'd be interesting to see if the trend continues and another doubling of range would halve the remaining gas usage. :)

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
"84 percent of one-way trips in its plug-in hybrids are distances of 20 miles or less"
Sounds like the Volt is far better for them, then - with 40 miles AER. Very few people can charge at work, nationally. The Volt numbers work out well for many people. Sure, I'd like 60 miles AER or 6.6KW once in a while. Maybe Gen II.
From the wording, it sounds like "these people will drive to work (20 miles or less) on electricity and drive home on gas." Not too appealing to me if I lived 20 miles from work. Out where I live, commuters drive at lest 25-30 miles to work one way.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another way of saying it would be: "84% of the round trips Energi owners take would be 100% electric in a Volt".

Volt 1, Energi 1/2.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I fit into this category as my typical one way drive to work is 15-20 miles. This also correlates with GM's statements that 80% of people's daily driving needs are under 40 miles. Typical daily drive is two way, not one way, so Ford's statement is assuming that you can charge on both ends of the daily drive.

Unfortunatley, I cannot charge at work, so my daily drive is really a round trip and I am averaging 35-40 miles per day driven. Winter or summer, I am just fine with my Volt and use very little gas. I would use quite a bit of gas with the Ford.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hmm. So they're giving us different summer and winter numbers - something we haven't done with Voltstats so far (not sure if Mike could do it or not.)

The Volt fleet there is averaging 74% electric, which includes both summer and winter driving. If the Energi cars are averaging 50% overall, doubling the electric range apparently halves the gas usage.

It'd be interesting to see if the trend continues and another doubling of range would halve the remaining gas usage. :)
I suspect that we would see similar seasonal differences with the Volt, simply because AER changes significantly with temperature.

With my 11-mile (each way) commute, the ICE often needs to get me home in the winter if I have driven to lunch or on errands. In the summer, the ICE virtually never runs unless I am on a long trip.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
"84 percent of one-way trips in its plug-in hybrids are distances of 20 miles or less"
Yes, and 84% of US drivers have a daily round trip commute of 40 miles or less. Unless you need 5 seats, buying a car with half the range a typical driver needs seems short sighted when you can get a Volt that provides 40 miles (or more) for the same price.

I'm thinking it's a Ford thing. Thelma & Louise took a one-way trip in a Ford.
LOL, +1

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I have a 24 mile round trip commute and I'm sure I could do it all on the battery (even on our coldest days here in southern Illinois) if the Volt would let me, but as you know the ICE is set to cycle on/off when temps dip below 25 degrees.

Had I owned a 2013 my gas usage this past winter would have been measured in QUARTS not gallons. I wish I could override the ICE start at least once like we can do with the FMM.

How does the Ford Energi handle cold temps?

And yes it would be helpful if VoltStats could capture and or differentiate between normal temps and COLD temps. What say you Mike?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I would like to read the next set of comments if Ford surprised all of us with a bigger battery and a 40 mile range in the 2014 Fusion Energi, and at the same 2013 price, too.

Then it is an issue of 4 vs 5 seats all over again.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I seriously considered a Cmax Energi, I have owned mostly Fords for the last 20 years. My commute is 18 miles one way with no ability to charge at work. I had been following the Volt for years though and I decided that it was a much better fit for my commute. I am SO glad I chose the Volt it is an amazing vehicle. I have fallen in love with the electric drive, it makes my Ford Escape Hybrid seem pretty lame, and I used to really like the Escape Hybrid. I hope I can still do the 36 mile round trip in the winter without using gas. Our winters are fairly mild and my commute is city streets at perfect speeds, mostly 30-40 mph, with about 1 mile at 55 mph. My range estimation has been between 47 and 52 miles this spring and summer. I'll know soon enough.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't get me wrong, the Energi is a close cousin of the Volt and deserves respect as such. Every car is a compromise of some sort, and for many, it may make more sense than the Volt for their owners' intended use, having chosen to select the compromises better matching their needs.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Battery capacity isn't the only significant difference- the Fusion Energi is a dog and needs the ICE for decent power (35 kW max). Also the Ford lacks a liquid cooled TMS.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
...Our winters are fairly mild...
Dude, your average winter lows are higher than our average winter highs. "Fairly" doesn't do it justice. ;)

- Your average low is above freezing. Should make a biiiggg difference.*
- At least one part of your commute will be during a warmer part of the day
- Your days won't get too short and you have decent sun so not too much need for energy-draining headlights. It all counts. ;)
- Your roads probably aren't caked with winter crap so rolling resistance won't be too bad.
- If you have heated seats use them if you get desperate for warmth
- Remember to up your tire pressures for winter.
- Set the engine-on temperature as low as possible.
- Wear layers for warmth in the car on colder days.

I wish your success in your gas-avoidance. :)

* I'm forced to run heat in my Prius to defrost in winter except on some days where I can open the windows a crack so both inside and outside are the same freezing and the windshield can stay clear without heat. My wife thinks I'm insane.

·
Registered
264 Posts
We were considering the Fusion Energi, Fusion Hybrid and the Volt...Volt won, and I definitely think we made the right choice.

Baby #2 is on its way, so I had to upsize. Volt isn't huge, but it is bigger than a Civic coupe. The Energi is bigger, passengerwise. But the trunk is severely limited. I'd take 4 seats in a Volt over 5 seats with zero trunkspace.

Plus, my daily commute is 40 miles...all electric and loving it.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
'Unfortunately, the system doesn't judge the driving skills or fuel economy of nearby cars in traffic, or just how much gas the guy in the clapped-out SUV with 224,000 miles driving next to you is wasting.'

...or how much LESS gas the guy in the Volt is using, either.

I really do want all these plug ins to succeed and displace the ICE mentality in drivers all over the world. But the article seems to have a certain bias and SCREAMS for the need of a Volt discussion somewhere in it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts