GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll just leave this here for y'all to browse.

What you need to know before buying an EV
Some things to consider before taking the plunge.
==================
It's an exciting time for the automotive world. Over the past 15 years, cars have gone from relatively dumb machines that get us to our destinations to electrified, connected gadgets. In the coming decade, the technology being developed by traditional automakers and nascent upstarts will not only transform the way we drive, but change how cities operate.

That's all great, but if you're reading this, you probably need a car now. As a nerd, you should at least test-drive an EV, because if you haven't yet, you're missing out. Just as important, there are tax benefits (hopefully, anyway) for buying an automobile with an electric drivetrain. So if you're thinking your next car should be powered by electrons, I'm here to help set you on the path to a glorious gas-free (or at least reduced-gas) future.

(full article at: https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/15/best-ev-hybrid-car/ )

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did I miss it? No mention of the Volt?
BINGO. Give the man a prize.

While it's nice to see "EV awareness" increasing, to me that article is just another example of how GM is utterly failing to make an impression on the larger world.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unfortunately, until gas is 2 or 3 times it's current cost, the wider public will take no notice of electric vehicles. The existing infrastructure of gas stations and car service centers will do everything in it's power to delay and confuse adoption of electric propulsion.
My own local experience: when I approached the nearest GM dealer, the first 2 people I spoke with, had never heard of the Volt. I then spoke with the dealership owner and he advised it would have cost him about $50K to set up as an electric service center, and he's currently not interested.
Meanwhile, the Volt continues to be an amazing revelation to those who have discovered it. (This Engadget writer obviously hasn't.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts