GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lease that ends in March on a 2015 Volt base model. I've been looking around a bit in an attempt to weigh my options for the end of the lease. I'm torn between a few options, and I'd appreciate advice/feedback. The car has fewer than 36k miles, and I have no issues exceeding mileage on the lease terms. The car will need new tires if I hang onto it much longer.

1. Purchase the car at residual value. I'm with GM Financial, and the residual is a bit over $12k, plus taxes. Total outlay for the car would be around $23,500. I felt like I got an ok but not great deal at the time I leased the car.

2. Purchase a new 2017 Volt LT with leather and comfort package. I initially priced it with my Volt as a "trade-in," where they would buy out the lease and purchase the car at the residual. The price they gave me (out the door) was around $32,500. I think I could negotiate $1-2k off that price. I have been told this car is NOT available to be leased.

3. Keep the current car for a few more months and try to negotiate a pull-ahead and lease a 2018 Volt. I'm not crazy about leasing again, but I would do it if the price was right.

My end goal is to buy a long-range electric. I previously had a Leaf and really liked it, but the range was really limiting. I would strongly consider leasing a Bolt, but my most common long drive does not have SAE Combo charging available along the route (only CHAdeMO and Tesla). I will likely buy a Tesla after this car and would buy one now if it was more financially feasible.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Am I reading this right? You can buy the car at lease end for <$24k INCLUDING the lease payments you made? Win. Do that. Run away laughing after. Why is this even a question. You got an EV that you "bought" new for the price of a Cruze.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you buy your current car you will have spent less than $24k for it, which is great, but you'll now own a three year old car which at some point you'll have to start spending money on (tires, brakes, repairs) If you're open to leasing a new Volt it's a great time to do it. We just leased a 2018 Premier and there was $7525 in incentives, some related to being a current GM lessee. Between that money and dealer discount you can pay between $1000 and $3000 total drive off with monthly payment in the $200s, depending on the MSRP of the Volt you choose. I shopped pretty carefully, and found that this month the Premiers are the better deal here in the SF Bay Area. We lease EVs because at lease end the tech has improved and we can get the latest model fairly painlessly. If visiting a Northern California dealer is a possibility for you (idk where you are) I recommend FH Dailey in San Leandro. Email them an offer on a specific car from their inventory and see what you get. I suspect you'll be pleased.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I forgot to address pull ahead. I had the same situation: 7 payments to go on current Chevy EV lease. Pull ahead took care of two payments, I didn't have to pay for 2019 tags, the $395 disposition fee was waived, and I got $500 allowance for excess mileage and $500 allowance for wear and tear. Between all that and getting a great deal on the 2018 I didn't mind at all making the remaining 5 payments and turning the old car in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am I reading this right? You can buy the car at lease end for <$24k INCLUDING the lease payments you made? Win. Do that. Run away laughing after. Why is this even a question. You got an EV that you "bought" new for the price of a Cruze.
Thanks. I appreciate that perspective. After the great and easy deal on my Leaf lease, I really hated the entire Volt leasing experience and left feeling like I'd definitely made a bad bargain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to address pull ahead. I had the same situation: 7 payments to go on current Chevy EV lease. Pull ahead took care of two payments, I didn't have to pay for 2019 tags, the $395 disposition fee was waived, and I got $500 allowance for excess mileage and $500 allowance for wear and tear. Between all that and getting a great deal on the 2018 I didn't mind at all making the remaining 5 payments and turning the old car in.
Thanks. I am looking at leasing a 2018, but I'm not having a lot of luck. I'm really unimpressed with all the dealers in my area. One has a 2018 that has been on the lot for a while and has had a recent price drop. The 36-month quote I got ranged from low $400s to mid-$500s. Considering I'm currently paying under $300 and paid very little down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts