GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Weather was nice today so I decided to empty the debris catcher/compost bin on my 2013 Volt. Great car, just one of its little quirks.
And just where is this marvel of modern technology? I need to check mine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the panel underneath the car that attaches to the rear bumper cover and extends forward towards the rear axle. I guess it's supposed to improve air flow. I found it tends to catch leaves and other light road debris when I unfastened the panel from the bumper cover to replace the bulb for the backup light.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
You've got to stop 4 wheel driving with it! :rolleyes::p

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
Hmm, I'll check mine when I'm not being lazy. :) Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Thank you, I wasn't aware of this! I'll check it out.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Oh yeah, that's what it looks like in the Fall, usually it's just sand and gravel. I wash it out twice a year, when I change my tires. Then you can get a good angle with the hose to spray it out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hmm, I'll check mine when I'm not being lazy. :) Thanks for the heads up.
Oh yeah, that's what it looks like in the Fall, usually it's just sand and gravel. I wash it out twice a year, when I change my tires. Then you can get a good angle with the hose to spray it out.
Guess I'll look at mine in the spring :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
My first interaction with the debris catcher was when I was trying to get in there to change the reverse light.. talk about a not so nice surprise :eek:

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
That is an amazing amount of dirt/gravel. Is that from driving on unpaved roads, or is that what we can all expect to find even if we drive on good pavement virtually all the time?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That's about a year's worth of debris. Nearly all the roads I drive are paved but in the winter the highway department will mix grit with the salt that they spread on the roads and it remains long after the ice is gone.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
At least there wasn't anything that snaps back at you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts