GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all!

I believe my first ever Engine Maintenance Mode should be coming this Sunday (although, I actually think I'll be doing a lot of driving Friday/Saturday and might end up using the ICE before the 6-week mark--we'll see), and I just wanted to see what other people do with regard to their Engine Maintenance Mode. Now normally, I tend to be on the side of "if you're going to be using gas anyway, might as well use it to move, otherwise you're effectively getting 0 mpg," and a few weeks ago my answer would have been clearly for doing the maintenance modes while moving. As my scheduled EMM date comes closer, though, I've been doing some reading, and now am a bit unsure. Doing EMM while moving allows gas energy to be used for propulsion, true, but it seems doing EMM while parked uses less gas overall (I assume this is because when driving, air passing over the radiator cools the coolant, and the coolant temperature is the signal for stopping EMM--someone let me know if I'm wrong). As such, I feel this is like the problem with the "Buy one, get one half-off" type of sales--should I spend more money than I otherwise would have, because I can get each item cheaper? Or should I only get the one item, using my money less efficiently, but saving money overall?

Again, this might all be moot if it turns out I'll use the ICE on Saturday, but I just wanted to pick everyone's brains.

Thanks,
Drew

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
If you want spectacular Voltstats EV mileage numbers...you do your EMM in park...if you are using your Volt as a car...then you just drive through your EMM events...:)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
What year? If 16+, I believe I read that they limited it to not run while stopped, you have to move first and then it will fire up. Might help in your decision.

This time of year, it's an easy decision for me.
I always stay within EV range on a daily basis. When an EMM is due, I will let it complete in the driveway before I go off to the store to run an errand, etc. This is the only form of ERDTT I will tolerate, as it is only every six weeks (and I need to do it anyway), and I know the engine is being brought to proper temperatures - that's the point of EMM. I use the heat to heat the cabin after EMM finishes.

I will let it run in the driveway - it completes faster and uses less gas than while driving. Likely because, as you said, cold air blowing into the engine bay means it takes longer to get to temp and remain there.
Also, it could hook the motor into two motor mode, making it actually do work (and burn more gas). Much of EMM is not actually engine power, but electricity assist (see EMM and electricity generation thread)
Make sure the heater is off, as you'll just be prolonging the EMM duration unnecessarily.

·
Administrator
20,465 Posts
What a waste of gas to have your engine running in your driveway. It's a car, just drive it.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Just drive it normally. Don't worry, no one will be staring at you while you are making all that noise.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If you are so focused on not burning any gasoline you are driving the wrong vehicle. You should trade your Volt in on a BEV at the first opportunity. Otherwise just drive it and enjoy the best vehicle ever conceived.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
What a waste of gas to have your engine running in your driveway. It's a car, just drive it.
The same can be said for remote starting... (which is exactly what I describe, warming up the engine in the driveway before driving away and using that heat)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
What year? If 16+, I believe I read that they limited it to not run while stopped, you have to move first and then it will fire up. Might help in your decision.

This time of year, it's an easy decision for me.
I always stay within EV range on a daily basis. When an EMM is due, I will let it complete in the driveway before I go off to the store to run an errand, etc. This is the only form of ERDTT I will tolerate, as it is only every six weeks (and I need to do it anyway), and I know the engine is being brought to proper temperatures - that's the point of EMM. I use the heat to heat the cabin after EMM finishes.

I will let it run in the driveway - it completes faster and uses less gas than while driving. Likely because, as you said, cold air blowing into the engine bay means it takes longer to get to temp and remain there.
Also, it could hook the motor into two motor mode, making it actually do work (and burn more gas). Much of EMM is not actually engine power, but electricity assist (see EMM and electricity generation thread)
Make sure the heater is off, as you'll just be prolonging the EMM duration unnecessarily.
You are correct...page 181
If Yes is selected, EMM will begin. The engine will not start until after a short delay once shifted into D (Drive). The engine will run for a set amount of time without turning off. During EMM, a DIC message displays to show the EMM percentage complete.
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/da...uals/2016/Chevrolet/Volt/2k16volt1stPrint.pdf

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I am 98 % all electric - so I go for the use less gas mode.

Some go for the use less $ mode

at least in the winter you get to use the extra heat if you burn on the go.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
And I'm now worried about the 5 gallons of gas sitting in my tank (I added 5 gallons to the 2 I had in April 15 expecting to use most of it by now) but due my wife's retirement her Volt has operated at over 98% on battery power) so I'm sitting with about 5+ gallons of gas going stale.

RAT's............

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
And I'm now worried about the 5 gallons of gas sitting in my tank (I added 5 gallons to the 2 I had in April 15 expecting to use most of it by now) but due my wife's retirement her Volt has operated at over 98% on battery power) so I'm sitting with about 5+ gallons of gas going stale.

RAT's............
Don't worry about it. Fuel Maintenance Mode will get you sooner or later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts