GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the Volt be classified as a Zero emission or Zero emission/low emissions Vehicle? How will the local State MVD issue regestration. In our state, emissions is required every two years for newer vehicles via the OBD computer. Will the Volt not require it or will we be required to deplete the battery and let the ICE kick in then take it down for the test?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sulev?

I might have answered my own thread, or made it a little more complex.
If indeed the Volt is classified as a "Hybrid-Electric Vehicle": Certified as a Super Ultra Low Emmision Vehicle, then it is exempt from emissions testing
Now here is the catch. If this thing when it comes out can run on E85 or gasoline - another tag can be placed on it: Alternate Fuel Vehicles: It states that Flex-Fuel (E85) and Bi-Fuel Vehicles REQUIRE regular testing.....So which is it....???? Anyone know???

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Will the Volt be classified as a Zero emission or Zero emission/low emissions Vehicle? How will the local State MVD issue regestration. In our state, emissions is required every two years for newer vehicles via the OBD computer. Will the Volt not require it or will we be required to deplete the battery and let the ICE kick in then take it down for the test?
Down the road I believe it will be classified as an SULEV, or possibly an ATPZEV. For now I agree it will likely be exempt under NM test requirements as an HEV.The EPA and various state emission control authorities are currently trying to make decisions and plan with respect to appropriate testing methods for the future of EVs and PZEVs.

How the Volt would behave when you roll up to the test station depends on many factors, so depending on SOC the range extender engine MIGHT just start and run during the test- BUT IT SHOULD PASS!! LOL

I would be VERY surprised if the Volt's range extending 4cyl engine is not able to operate on E85. It's not such a difficult task.
WopOnTour

·
Registered
100 Posts
Additional question regarding state mandated bi-annual emission testing. Ohio

The last threads regarding this question are from 2008. I live in Ohio and my state mandates bi-annual emission testing. I took delivery of my 2012 Volt in early Jan. 2012 and will not require visiting this subject until Dec. 2013 for my Jan 2014 registration. That said, I am curious about what to expect from the State of Ohio. Does Ohio, or for that matter, do other States have any planned methodology for EV's to comply with their current emission testing requirements. Unless there are legal contingencies, I am amused to think about the possible confusion that will result at the testing centers with the arrival of the Volt and especially with the Nissan Leaf. Any info will be welcome.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would just charge it and take it to get the testing done. They can't force it into running the engine without the hood open, and I don't think the car will drive if it detects the hood open. So you will have them! ;)

I am getting the Nissan dealer to throw in lifetime VA inspections when our Leaf gets here as I find it stupid. I will note however they did adapt the vehicle inspection checklist for electric cars, and it has them check the horn/pedestrian warning devices/etc.. They do not test emissions in this area of VA, but I imagine the Leaf would be exempt. I have left the Volt registered in our home state so I don't need to deal with the inspections at all. However I would do what I mentioned above if they ever wanted to run emissions on it.. Anymore to my understanding it is just a quick OBDII check anyway as most places do not put them on rollers with a smog machine. If you have any emissions codes you automatically fail, and also if you fail the visual.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I check with Ohio BMV about this issue, and will post the information that I receive.

The Volt in my two months of ownership has been an absolute delight. I and my wife are extremely pleased with the build quality. With about 1800 miles our avg. is 140.9 mpg.

2012 Chevy Volt. #4879

1 - 6 of 6 Posts