GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am here in Arizona with my 2011, 120,000 miles. I had to get my car emission tested this year. I had just replaced the 12V battery about three weeks ago and I very rarely use the gas engine. Anyway, had it tested today and it did not "fail" but has to be retested because the EVAP System is "not ready" and the O2 sensor is "not ready". Apparently these items have not been reset since the 12V battery change due to extremely limited gas engine usage. The emissions place said to look online for the Drive Cycle and perform that before being retested. I can't seem to find a Drive Cycle for the Volt and the generic GM Drive Cycle does not seem to apply.
Anyone familiar with this, how can I get these two systems to be "Ready"??? Does it have to be driven on gas and in a specific way such as a Drive Cycle procedure? Can these two systems be "turned on" through an app (such as Torque) and a bluetooth OBD dongle?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can't turn on any of the readiness monitors manually but you can monitor them in Torque with a Bluetooth dongle. You could use Hold mode for a day or two out Mountain mode to force the engine too cycle and watch the monitors to see if they change

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
2011 does not have hold mode, so either let the battery empty or use mountain mode below the threshold where the engine runs.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
637 Posts
Don't tell anyone this, but a good (Snap On, etc) scan tool can turn on or off any readiness monitor. I found this out by going through sub menus on our 5k Snappy at work.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My suggestion is to take it on a long drive under engine power. 30-45 minutes should be sufficient. The 02 sensor usually requires (on traditional ICE engines) sustained highway speeds for a few minutes. EVAP is usually done after a couple cold starts. Depending on the fuel level it may require more or less. I find a full tank allows the test monitor to set fairly easily. Basically your best bet to set all the readiness monitors is to unfortunately drive it on gas for a few days. Good luck.

*jayoldschool - Most scan tools can force complete the readiness monitors. In fact, if I'm not mistaken I believe a VCX nano can do so as well. However, if the engine is operating normally, it shouldn't take much to set all the monitors naturally. I did have one car that was incredibly difficult to set the O2 and EGR monitors and contemplated manually forcing them but a long drive down to LA and back achieved it before I had to resort to that.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Case Closed. Drove all day in Mountain Mode yesterday. It cleared the O2 "not ready" but not the Evap system. but you are allowed one "not ready". Passed the test this morning. Anyway, seems kind of ironic that I had to drive using gas, polluting the air so I can pass the emission test. How stupid is that ??????

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Case Closed. Drove all day in Mountain Mode yesterday. It cleared the O2 "not ready" but not the Evap system. but you are allowed one "not ready". Passed the test this morning. Anyway, seems kind of ironic that I had to drive using gas, polluting the air so I can pass the emission test. How stupid is that ??????
In Mass.,I had to open the hood to get the engine to run.Guy doing the testing called me in because they couldn't get the engine to turn on.
I passed the test.That was my Volt,Cadi didn't have any issues either.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
posted on this a few years ago.

The hard part was the drive at 50 mph or more steady for 15 min and NOT touch the brakes.

Mine were in the not ready state for 1 and 1/2 years.

and with no engine lights lit no free testing at pep boys :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
What's an emissions test :p

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
One of the Bolt EV owners here has a grand story about "mandatory emissions testing" for his Bolt EV LOL

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Did the probe have to stretch to reach all the way to the smokestack at the power plant?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
What's an emissions test :p
But Utah County Commission Chair Nathan Ivie said he thought that one year was too long for vehicles that have been deliberately tampered with.

Some people tamper with or remove emissions controls in diesel vehicles to practice “rolling coal,” or billowing black smoke. Steve Alder, bureau director of air quality, solid and hazardous waste for the Utah County Health Department, said there are multiple ways to tamper with a vehicle, including taking off components like a catalytic converter or any other part designed to contain fumes or gases.

Utah County discusses how to implement diesel emissions testing, now required by law

Tell me about it. Since day zero the Volts here in Utah have been required to have emissions testing yet the rolling coal idiots have been exempt from emissions testing up to next year when they finally moved to eliminate this loophole...makes sense right!?:confused:

·
Registered
212 Posts
One of the Bolt EV owners here has a grand story about "mandatory emissions testing" for his Bolt EV LOL
Reminds me of having to have a tag, to dispose of an old motorhome fridge, stating a professional had removed the Freon from it even though the fridge used Ammonia and never had used Freon.

Hard to argue with government stupidity.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
They used to have emissions testing here but dropped it long ago and later (2014) dropped it in Vancouver as well. With modern cars less and less cars where failing and it was deemed an expense that gave minimal if any results. I've never had to take a car in for testing except when I imported a TR7 from California I had to get an "out of country' safety check but nothing for emissions.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Got a link. I spent about an hour with DuckDuckGo yesterday to find this story. Found a lot of stories about Volt emissions testing but none on the Bolt. Not saying it didn't happen but I would love to know which state screwed this one up. (Sort of like the Y2K bug in Maine where all the brand new 2000 model year cars were receiving "horseless carriage" tags.)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Sorry it was a series of PM messages.. If you want to ask Jeff_H be my guest.
The state is Virginia.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
The state is Virginia.
Thanks. Virginia is a sufficient answer. I've dealt with them while stationed at the Pentagon - possibly the worst set of DMV laws in the country.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The state is Virginia.
Ah, yes...the Commonwealth :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts